Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Prof Roger Robert - Neurosurgeon
Dr T Riant - Anaethesist and Pain Management
Dr J.J. Labat - Neurologist & Urologist - PNMLT and other Testing
Post Reply
eraser
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2025 1:41 am

Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Post by eraser »

Hopefully I found out on Thursday this week whether my consultant supports going for surgery in Nantes, as I meet all the criteria for entrapment syndrome but I know this doesn't necessarily mean much in the UK system. Undoubtedly, the NHS will take forever to get the money to fund it but does anyone have an idea of the waiting for bilateral decompression surgery in Nantes. I saw a previous thread but cannot find it, where someone mentioned that someone here organises UK referalls but I didn't know if that was asessment as opposed to surgery?

I am reluctant to ask this question but I would rather know and rip the band aid off now.

Thanks all
User avatar
Violet M
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Post by Violet M »

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question and I don't remember reading the post about someone organizing referrals to France.

I don't know of many people who have gone to Dr. Ploteau so I don't know what surgical approach they use but as I recall they trained under Prof. Robert so I'm guessing the TG approach? I think there was a guy with username Tonygret who posted about his surgery results in Nantes a little while back. You may want to look up his posts about his experience.

Wishing you the best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
eraser
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2025 1:41 am

Re: Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Post by eraser »

As always many thanks Violet. I have sent Tonygret a private message, although from looking at past posts it appears he had a bad outcome.

If I find out, I will share.
eraser
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2025 1:41 am

Re: Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Post by eraser »

Violet M wrote: ↑Sun Feb 22, 2026 3:31 am Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question and I don't remember reading the post about someone organizing referrals to France.

I don't know of many people who have gone to Dr. Ploteau so I don't know what surgical approach they use but as I recall they trained under Prof. Robert so I'm guessing the TG approach? I think there was a guy with username Tonygret who posted about his surgery results in Nantes a little while back. You may want to look up his posts about his experience.

Wishing you the best,

Violet
Not this as an answer it all but all my consultant said today was that patients of his are currently waiting "ages."
User avatar
Violet M
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Post by Violet M »

eraser wrote: ↑Mon Mar 02, 2026 4:04 pm
Not this as an answer it all but all my consultant said today was that patients of his are currently waiting "ages."
Oh no! That is really sad. Are you going to search elsewhere or try to get on the waiting list for Nantes?

Sometimes it seems there is a shortage of doctors everywhere. Now, even in the US it seems like it is taking longer to get appointments for things.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
eraser
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2025 1:41 am

Re: Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Post by eraser »

Violet M wrote: ↑Thu Mar 05, 2026 2:55 am
eraser wrote: ↑Mon Mar 02, 2026 4:04 pm
Not this as an answer it all but all my consultant said today was that patients of his are currently waiting "ages."
Oh no! That is really sad. Are you going to search elsewhere or try to get on the waiting list for Nantes?

Sometimes it seems there is a shortage of doctors everywhere. Now, even in the US it seems like it is taking longer to get appointments for things.

Violet
Terrible isn't it. What is interesting is that I am suddenly told that only private patients or fee paying patients even get to go to Nantes, and this information was witheld when I first started getting "treatment." So much for the UK having a national health service!

I am trying to some clarity on what the UK will fund but I am open minded and will go anywhere at this point. Is there any where else besides Nantes that you think is good? My doctor is obsessed with Nantes but now it doesn't seem a viable option.
I really want to get some clarification from Nantes themselves as to what the actual waiting list is.

There is a rumour that there is one doctor in the UK that operates so I am trying to hunt them down and see whether they will take my case - hopefully money will talk and I will get the op.

I am also trying to meet the health minister, as it seems crazy that surgery isn't available in the UK.
User avatar
Violet M
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Post by Violet M »

Yes, there are other European doctors with good reputations but it really kind of depends on what surgical approach you are interested in. Last I knew, Nantes was using the TG approach as pioneered by Prof. Robert. Some of the other European doctors use the laparoscopic approach. Has your doctor seen good results from patients who went to Nantes?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
eraser
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2025 1:41 am

Re: Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Post by eraser »

Violet M wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2026 6:56 am Yes, there are other European doctors with good reputations but it really kind of depends on what surgical approach you are interested in. Last I knew, Nantes was using the TG approach as pioneered by Prof. Robert. Some of the other European doctors use the laparoscopic approach. Has your doctor seen good results from patients who went to Nantes?
The story has somewhat change now in that out of the blue, I have be told that it's only private patients that have been referred for surgery.
I don't know how many he has referred to Nantes and he hasn't discussed outcomes that he has seen. At first he was saying to only trust Nantes, and has subsequently now said that the waiting list is bad. I haven't explored funding routes for surgery abroad, although I am told there is some kind of process . If my nerve conduction studies support surgery, I will then have to look to get UK funding and discuss approaches. I get the impression that the TG is favourable but I know that the laparscopic approach and robotic surgery is becoming more popular. The scar from the TG look quite impressive, but at the moment I am not worrying about scars yet. I am sure afterwards, I may think differently but I will be very grateful if surgery is the answer.

Waiting for a date for nerve conduction studies is daunting.
User avatar
Violet M
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nantes waiting list time for surgery?

Post by Violet M »

eraser wrote: ↑Sat Mar 14, 2026 10:01 pm I get the impression that the TG is favourable but I know that the laparscopic approach and robotic surgery is becoming more popular. The scar from the TG look quite impressive, but at the moment I am not worrying about scars yet. I am sure afterwards, I may think differently but I will be very grateful if surgery is the answer.

Waiting for a date for nerve conduction studies is daunting.
Over the years I have heard of many people who had successful surgeries with the TG approach, but you are right that it is more invasive and some people who have pelvic instability prefer an approach that doesn't cut the sacrotuberous ligament.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Post Reply

Return to “Nantes”