MRI with Dr. Potter

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
paulette

MRI with Dr. Potter

Post by paulette »

I called Dr. Potter's office to ask about a 3T MRI, since the one I had in Denver said everything was normal. They said they would never do a 3T MRI on me, because of the hardware in my pelvis. They said it would show too much artificat, and that I should have a 1.5 MRI. So I have a question. Without her special 3T MRI software she has developed, would there be any advantage in seeing her for a 1.5? Would she still be able to see the entrapped nerves, etc? I never thought to ask that question when I called the office, but everyone on this website talks only about her readings from the 3T.
HerMajesty

Re: MRI with Dr. Potter

Post by HerMajesty »

I don't know if she uses her software for the 1.5, but if not the MRN is a 1.5
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Faith

Post by Faith »

The MRI with Dr Kalinkin in Phoenix is 1.5 with contrast.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

But I think Dr. Kalinkin can't see the PN in the ligament grip very well.it's just my opinion and I can be very well wrong.Please ask Dr. Potter if she can see the PN in it' entire course by mean of 1.5 Tesla.

Thanks,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
paulette

Post by paulette »

I called Dr. Potter's office yesterday. She said she could see everything just as well with the 1.5. I don't understand why no else has this ability. it will cost me $3,000. At least they are willing to work out payments. Thanks to all of you for your input.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Ali,

So can Dr. Kalinkin only really see scar tissue is that what you mean? I am planning on having an MRI by her when I go to Phoenix in August. I hope it is not a huge waste, but I just can't afford to go to NYC. I figure it's better than nothing.
2020 - big flare up
merrie

Post by merrie »

I had the Kalinkin mri and did not learn what I had hoped to learn. I am now thinking of how to make the trip to ny for the potter MRI. Just to give you some more info.

merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
Mulan

Post by Mulan »

Hello Merrie,
I am thinking of having Potter MRI too. May I ask how your consultation with Dr. Dellon went ? Best of regards, M
Symptom started 10/2010,sitting pain started 02/20/11. 1st injection 3/25/11. PT started 03/29/11. 2nd injection august,2011
Faith

Post by Faith »

So sorry the MRI didn't show what you'd like Merrie. Can I ask if it showed anything? Maybe you already posted the result somewhere else. are you just wanting potter MRI for your peace of mind or is Hibner recommending it?
2020 - big flare up
merrie

Post by merrie »

I have not yet seen Dellon. I have been waiting to see how others continue to report back about their consults with him since is a huge trip from california for me. Dr Hibner has recommended the PN surgery for me. My Kalinkin MRI essentially showed that I had a blood vessel in my perenium that was very enlarged, prominnent and tortuous. Dr Hibners interpretation of this was that the perenieal branch of the pudendal nerve passes through the same areas as this perineal blood vessel and that distress of the vesel indiactes that there is also distress of the nerve. The Kalinkin MRI did not make metion of scar tissue in my case. It also made no mention of dorsal nerve issues which I know with certainty that I have.

Somthing is making me hesitate having the surgery with Dr Hibner and I dont know exactly what. My case is quite complex since I have a number of things that have contributed to the PNE. I feel like the Potter MRI will most likely give me more detailed info to go off of. My feeling is that i have issues with the dorsal and perineal branches of the nerve given this MRI and given that I had a very specific clitoral injury. Im not yet convinced Hibners current surgical approach will address my issues. Im leaning towards the Potter MRI and a consult with Dellon in the future - but want to hear more about other experiences with Dellon since it is a huge trip for me.

I also have a special needs child who might need surgery this summer so unfortunately I have been needing to focus and take a lot of time off from work for that. So Im keeping my ears open about more on Dellon before I decide what to do next. In the meantime I am continuing with Botox and sympathetic nerve blocks with Dr Jordan who is my godsend. Both of these in combination with many meds have allowed me to work and function (albeit I am still in tremendous pain.)

Hope this helps.

Merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013

Return to “MRI/MRN”