buddhisam

Here is an area to discuss and relate to Spiritual matters....share a thought, happy moment, cry on a shoulder, offer some faith to those in need. This area will not be viewable to non registered users.
florabunda

buddhisam

Post by florabunda »

Has anyone studied buddhism or indeed buddhist ? I am just interested in whether living for the moment works in practise as to me it is almost compulsory. It must be brilliant to manage a life in this way. There is a lot in the unknown but finding it isn't akways that easy. We all know that belief is a great healer and that living within what we have is mind based. I know that when stressed life is made worse by my coindition joining in the not so merry go round. What helps members cope with that?
catherine a

Re: buddhisam

Post by catherine a »

I've just been watching Elizabeth Gilbert on Oprah and I can't wait to see the movie based on her book Eat, Pray, Love. Since having PNE I've realised that we must take each day as it comes and to do what we can with our day without causing the pain to become worse. I have adopted a kind of lifestyle where I don't worry about what other people think. I've learned to do what I can in my day and no more. It may have upset some of my family members, friends and work colleagues but with chronic pain one needs to adjust and be a little 'selfish' if you like. it's not being selfish, it's about our recovery and the inability to carry out our chores and social life as we used to. a time has come in our lives when we need to think about ourselves and give ourselves some 'ME' time. If that means taking a nap, or going for a walk, or reading a book, I've learned how to pass my day without stress. Yes, it's taken a long time of pain and torture but it's all part of the healing process.

I heard someone say once that Buddhist monks are really only looking for an escape from the real world but I don't believe that for a moment. I have yet to master meditation and I don't put effort into learning, but I do enjoy my 'ME' time to swim, read a book, watch a movie etc. Before PN I lived my life pleasing others. Do this, do that. Never enough hours in the day to get all the chores done. Now I do what I can and I don't overdo things any more. There are times when I sit and see the windows need cleaning, or the dog needs a bath, or the garden needs tending, but I don't let it bother me any more as there is always another day.

I don't feel bad about resting when I need to rest, or put off doing things around the house for another day. Some of my family members have concluded that I'm 'LAZY' but I don't care about what they think. This is our time to heal and I feel we need to find a balance in our lives physically, emotionally and spiritually. In conclusion my butt is now becoming too uncomfortable to sit here any longer so I need to get up from the seat now and go walk for a while in the garden.

I pray everyone suffering can find peace in your day.

Catherine
2004 PNE following vag. hysterectomy and A & P repair. 2007 TIR surgery France. severe entrapment at Alcocks canal & SS ligaments . Have my life back. 90% cured.No longer have medical appts.or physio.Some pain remains but is tolerable. 2012 Flew from Australia to the UK without pain flare. Very manageable. Almost back to normal. Now hold support group meetings at KEMH Subiaco Perth WA. Every 2nd Sat. of the month. Still pace my activities. PN doesn't dominate any more.
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

I am not a Buddhist, but I use to due meditation on a daily basis tell this not sitting problem started and I have not done it for years. I have read about ;Buddhism and other eastern philosophies. I like a lot of it. It helps to look at things in a different ways then the way we were brought up.
kat

Post by kat »

The Four Agreements is the book I base my lifestyle on. It helps me understand others and allows me to live a balanced life. My boyfriend and I both live by its teachings.

I try to live like St. Theresa (The Little Flower). She believed that everyone should do things each day to make the world a better place. That is what I try to do. Being a teacher made that easy for me to do and now this illness has given me an opportunity to help those around me. I feel each one of us with the will go get on this site and share our stories and support each other will allow the next generation to have the information they need find treatments before this illness takes over their lives. Everyone on this site is an angel, even if they don't know it. It takes the heart of a fighter to live with this illness and this site has some of the toughest around.

How do I get through the day? I read, talk on the phone, research my illness, go to doctor appointments and eat healthy. My family and friends visit me in my room and we talk, watch TV, and play (I have 3 nieces and a nephew) so we play a lot. My illness is hard on them because we are all close so me being unable to come downstairs to be social has moved all them into my room. It makes me feel very loved.

Kathy
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

I have read all don Miguel Ruiz books; I can't say enough about them. Other books that have helped me a lot are Byron Katie's books; the best one, Loving What IS. Eckhart Tollee has written my two favorite books, THE NEW EARTH, AND THE POWER OF NOW. It is good to hear from people that like reading these types of books, but living it is where the challenge comes in. :D
catherine a

Post by catherine a »

Hi Kathy,

I'd like to respond to your message where you mention St. Teresa the Little Flower. I have an amazing story to tell you which happened about a year following the onset of my PN.
One day, I was going through my handbag looking for something when I came across a small plastic sleeve with a photo of St. Teresa the Little Flower. On the back is the prayer:

St. Theresa Little Flower, please pick me a rose from the Heavenly garden and send it to me with a message of love. Ask God to grant me the favour I thee implore, and tell Him i will love Him each day more and more.

Also in the plastic sleeve is a card with an Irish Blessing which says:

May there always be work for your hands to do
May your purse always hold a coin or two.
May the sun always shine on your window pane
May your rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near you
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

I honestly and truly do not know who gave this to me or where it came from. I have asked all of my family members and friends and none of them know anything about it. but for some reason it has come into my possession. I'm not a religious person, I don't go to church, I've brought my children up to respect all religions and accept people for who are they are. I have recited this prayer every day throughout my painful journey with PNE and I still carry it in my bag.

One day, my wish is to go to India to see and pray with Sai Baba. I find a very spiritual kind of peace whenever I read or hear about Sai Baba as he teaches us that whatever one's religion, there are just three simple rules in life. BE GOOD, SEE GOOD and DO GOOD. I forgot to mention that the plastic sleeve with the prayer cards looks very old. Like it's been with someone for years. The clear plastic is brownish in colour. I'm eternally grateful to the person who brought this into my possession whoever that may be. It is one of the little things in life which I will treasure forever.

Catherine
2004 PNE following vag. hysterectomy and A & P repair. 2007 TIR surgery France. severe entrapment at Alcocks canal & SS ligaments . Have my life back. 90% cured.No longer have medical appts.or physio.Some pain remains but is tolerable. 2012 Flew from Australia to the UK without pain flare. Very manageable. Almost back to normal. Now hold support group meetings at KEMH Subiaco Perth WA. Every 2nd Sat. of the month. Still pace my activities. PN doesn't dominate any more.

Return to “SPIRITUAL AREA”