Dr. Potter's MRI

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Tiny Dancer

Dr. Potter's MRI

Post by Tiny Dancer »

Hi,

Does anyone know how many of the nerves from the sacrum that Dr. Potter's MRI shows? Or is it just the pudendal nerve?

Thanks,
Kate
Had PN since childbirth 1968
Had MRI,MRN,EMG,trigger point injections,3 steriod nerve blocks, pelvic plexus CT
Seeing Dr. Hibner Sept.29,2010
MEDS: Cymbalta 120mg, Elavil 25mg, Valium Suppositories, Fentanyl patch
Surgery w/ Dr. Hibner 3/14/11
Pain did not go away until I was given a steriod block to broken coccyx
Karyn

Re: Dr. Potter's MRI

Post by Karyn »

Good question. I have a devastating amount of pain coming from my sacral area but my 3T MRI doesn't say anything about it. I was actually very upset about that because now I'm thinking, OMG - what else is wrong with me??? The sacral pain is just as bad as the PN pain for me. And quite honestly, I don't want to be poked, injected, infused, twisted, etc... anymore!!!
Have you had the 3T MRI, Kate?
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
hilary

Post by hilary »

the MRI from Hollis Potter will show all the nerves and soft tissue in the part of the body she has been asked to scan. The only nerves that wont show are ones that are so tiny that they can be confused with smalll arteries. All the major nerves would show.
GraceUnderFire

Post by GraceUnderFire »

My dr wrote the script to include the ilioinguinal and genitofermoral (sp?) nerve and those were visualized as well as the pudendal. I am not sure how much the scan itself can see . . . but I did get information on the nerves above :)
Woke screaming from ab hyst 6/08
Diagnosed w/PN, ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neuralgias 1/09
3 PN blocks w/Dr Quesada
Rt side TIR, ilioinguinal neurectomy & vestibulectomy 5/09 Dr Conway
Left side TIR 2/10 Dr Conway
Potter MRI 9/10 and consultation w/Loretta & Dr Hibner 12/10
Bilateral ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, genitofemoral release w/Dr. Hashemi Aug 2011 left & Sept rt
Bilateral TG surgery w/Dr. Conway will be in January 2012
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

hilary wrote:the MRI from Hollis Potter will show all the nerves and soft tissue in the part of the body she has been asked to scan. The only nerves that wont show are ones that are so tiny that they can be confused with smalll arteries. All the major nerves would show.
So, maybe, just maybe - the sacral pain could be coming from the cluneal nerve? Isn't that located UNDER the pudendal nerve?
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Missingmylife42

Post by Missingmylife42 »

Hi everyone i went to Dr Potter too I am new on this site but have been lurking for months this is what my mri says it scares me alot
1. Oblique images through the pelvic floor demonstrates scarring of the perivaginal fat planes abutting the branches of the pudendal nerve in Alcock's canal to the on the left side. The fat planes around the sacrotuberous ligaments are unremarkable.

2. There is moderate scar formation surronding the branch of the pn to the rectum, again more prominent on the left.

3. Mild degenerative changes of the pubic symphysis are noted with adductor tendinosis but no acute tear.

4. There is a dominant left adnexal cyst, disc ddegengeration is noted in the lower spine

Her impression is MRI of the pelvis demonstrates moderate linear scar formation surronding the anterior margin of Alcocks canal, abutting the distal branches of the left pn to the rectum. Nothing to do with my coccyx

My main problem with all this was a burning clitoris thats why i went for this, nothing was noted on the MRI but when I talked to her she told me my dorsal nerve which i guess was the distal branch she was talking about was entrapped but she did not say this on the report. So I was very concerned with this as i brought this to my physical therapist which she was amazed to see but it didnt say anything about the clitoris. So i kept emailing her and she finally made and addendum and that says.

Specific concern (is that my concern) is directed towards the dorsal nerve of the clitoris. Oblique axial images demonstrate scar entrapment of the left aspect of the pelvic floor, entrapping the dorsal nerve to the clitoris more posteriorly, there is no scar entrapment around the sacrotuberous ligament.

So what do you all think of this, please be gentle
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Welcome to the group, Missing! I'm very happy you're here and thank you for sharing your report with us. Could you please resubmit it under MRN/MRI results, so we can keep the reports together in one place? Easier to compare that way. :P
I don't know if you read my report or not, but she also noted "Mild adductor tendinosis without tear" on mine, too. Do the creases of your legs hurt?
Well, I guess I'm kinda concerned that she would add an addendum. I too have a lot of pain in areas that weren't mentioned, so, did she rush to complete my (and your) report and then, taking a second look, go, "oh, yeah ....!"???? :shock:
Could you please tell us a little about yourself, Missing? Have you already been diagnosed with PNE? Who wrote your script for the MRI?
Warm regards,
Karyn
hilary

Post by hilary »

so did the request for the scan mention clitoris pain?
I guess it shows the importance of trying to see Hollis Potter afterwards - several people have done this but its probably not standard practice unless you ask.
Hilary

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”