How dangerous are nerve blocks

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
gentle_artist

How dangerous are nerve blocks

Post by gentle_artist »

I am due to have one soon, but am unclear about exactly how risky the procedure is.
Are there any stats?
There are some alarming posts about it.
flyer28

Re: How dangerous are nerve blocks

Post by flyer28 »

Nobody tell you exactly. I was researching this topic many times.
Regarding pelvic pain, I got 3 shots into the perinem/pubic region, but very superficiently, without going into near vicinity of main trunks of pudendal. They brought some relief, for one week or so, and then the effect faded away.
Regarding the block into Alcock canal and Superior hypogastric plexus (which might be another option with excellent results), all the dosctors I asked , told me that within the hands of experienced anesthesiologist/radiologist, the procedure should be quite safe and permanent worsening is rather seldom. But there are stories among the patients...
I would ask the other, what do you thnik about superior hypogastric plexus block?
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 399890092X

Czech doctors from Urologic centre Androgeos have similar experiences:
http://www.urologickelisty.cz/pdf/ul_10_03_04.pdf

Maybe this procedure is more safe than the Alcock infiltration.
Any opinions?
summer 2009 - episodic post ejaculatory pain,
early 2010- major flare-up, chronification
february 2011 - ESCW wave. major flare-up, lasting 5 months
february 2012 - diagnosed CPPS with irritation of pudendal nerve, hypog. plexus block
june 2012 - dorsal nerve block, no relief
2013 - starting PT with moderate results
2014-2017 better periods interchanging with heavy flare ups
2018 first long remission (several months)
2019-2023 most of the time almost assymptomatic with cca 2 flare ups yearly
Violet M

Re: How dangerous are nerve blocks

Post by Violet M »

Artist, I don't know of any stats (especially not published ones) on the risks involved. A few years back we heard a report from the Houston team that they were not having success with people having improvements from nerve blocks. I just did a search in pubmed and I'm not finding any published literature on the risks or benefits to pudendal nerve blocks for pelvic pain for a population size that's large enough to draw any conclusions. Most of the publications are on 1 or 2 patients and typically, it's the successes that get published.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”