Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery - post surgery recovery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
adg1403

Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery - post surgery recovery

Post by adg1403 »

Hi

First post on the site, lots of great information. Glad to see I'm not alone, given I've had PN since 2004, but was only diagnosed in 2010.

Am currently under care of the excellent Dr Greenslade and Dr Wong in Bristol (all the positive comments about their professionalism, competence and bedside manner that you may have read elsewhere on here I'd fully endorse), and I'm going to be having PN Decompression Surgery (TG route) in the next couple of months.

The surgical aspects have been fully explained, but am not sure what the post surgery recovery timetable looks like - at first I was told I'd be in hospital overnight, just to make sure the stitches from the surgery held OK, then I was told it could be 3 or 4 days before I'm allowed home. Also told it was likely I could go back to work after about three weeks - but things I've read on here suggest I could be having issues walking for some time, let alone do anything else. Similarly have been told that it could be 3 to 12 months before seeing any improvement in pain levels.

Is there any timeline/information about activities I'm going to be able to do and/or should avoid in the 6 or 12 months post surgery period? Apologies if there's already a link to this elsewhere on the site. Any help appreciated.

ADG1403
helenlegs 11

Re: Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery - post surgery reco

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hello agd1403,
You are in fact the first person I have heard from who is to undergo surgery from the 'Bristol team'. Obviously there are others but we haven't encountered them on here unfortunately.
So a huge welcome firstly. As to answering your questions I can't but all information that you can pass on to us would be greatly appreciated.
As the team follow Professor Roberts TG technique I guess those who have had the op in Nantes would be the best to give specific answers. The only other British people to have undergone PN surgery have been under Professor Carlstead.
Romaine and Johnd.h did post but not in a while, hopefully they are now getting on with their lives.
Sorry I can't be any more help. The very best of luck with your surgery and recovery.
I would love to hear more of your story and of course how you do post surgery.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Good morning AGD - and welcome to the forum from me as well!

I too am in the UK and waiting for surgery (hopefully) at Frenchay. I'd suggest that maybe it would be a good idea to contact Dr Wong's secretary, tell her that you are wondering about this, and is there any information that she could let you have? We do need to plan round other things in our lives, after all.

I know that when my turn comes (I hope it does) I am going to be as careful as I possibly can. When I had the mesh repair surgery, there was a very helpful handout from my surgeon - I will link to it - here. Very restrictive - that was for four weeks. Of course it is not the same surgery, but even so. My surgeon told me also that when patients asked him if they could do such-and-such post-op, he would give them one of his business cards, and say - the answer to all your questions is on the back of that card. So they would turn the card over, and there would be one word written there - NO. :shock: :lol:

Anyway - I'm sorry that I can't answer your question. But I do hope that Dr Wong's secretary will be able to get some helpful information for you.

And, like helen, I'd really like to hear more from you, and how things are going for you. Please keep posting! :)
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

AGD,
Welcome to one of the more confusing aspects of the sugery. I too wondered how it made sense to say it would take up to a year for recovery and yet I should be back at work in 4-6 weeks. I think the incision heals that quickly (externally) and some people even internally enough to return to work. I was not in that case and am still home from surgery may 9, 2011. So it seems I will fall to what I can see as a more realistic 3months or longer. I did see in this surgery section a posting of Dr Conway's post-op guidelines (you can search on guidelines) and another person posted another Dr but I can't find it at the moment. I would still ask your doctor but this may help you see what may be ahead. All the best to you.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Yes Janet that jogged my memory. I know Karyn posted Dr Conway's post op guidelines here http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =44&t=1375
Hope that helps, I know Karyn had bilateral surgery. Of course getting guidelines direct from the surgeon as Calluna suggested would be best. It will be interesting to see if they differ much.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
TinyDancer

Post by TinyDancer »

Hi there,

I'm not in England, but I did have decompression surgery with Dr. Hibner. The only difference that I could see in post-op activities was in the 1-3 week. He only recommends doing the 20 min. walk in small incre,ments. He also doesn't want any stairs during the 1-3 week period and then doing is slowly.

I followed all the instuctions very carefully and doing everything that I was told to do. But it is now 4 months after surgery and I can't sit. I am in more pain than before the surgery and I was climbing the walls in pain before surgery. I am beginning to agree with people that there is a group that needs more extensive surgery than mine was and mine was 4 hours long! Right now, I don't know if all my nerves are just aggravated due to surgery, to much damage was already done to the pudendal nerve, or if I am entrapped further along than Alcock's Canal.

My MRI said that I had a problem with the perineal nerve and they couldn't see anything on the pudendal nerve. I was very entrapped along the pudendal nerve, so what does that say about the perineal nerve!!!

Kate
Surgery with Dr. Micheal Hibner March 14, 2011
Am 85% better in only 5 months and so grateful to Dr. Hibner
THIS FORUM ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS!!!
My thanks to all of you.
donstore

Post by donstore »

Kate,
Have you tried opiates or Lyrica ? Side effects are tough for some but they really help me forget about the pain for a while and that's the bottom line. Pain really wears you out.

Best Wishes,

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Kate, I forgot where you had your MRI -- sounds like yours did not help much with the diagnosis.

I'm sure it seems like forever in your recovery but it's still pretty early to draw any conclusions. I couldn't sit for very long until 18 months after surgery so take it easy and remember it takes a long time to recover from PNE surgery.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
adg1403

Post by adg1403 »

Thanks all for your posts - all wise counsel, I will be contacting Dr Wong's secretary to seek further information, so will post on here if anything is forthcoming. Thanks to those of you who have also provided links to previous posts and other information about the surgery.

I'm struck by reading on the forum just how different recoveries have been from the surgery, it appears not doing too much too soon and listening to your body is the start point, and take things from there. Certainly looks as though I'm not going to be running round a tennis court for quite a while!

Helen - I'll add my history to my account settings when I get chance to review the timeline of treatment to date - gives me a chance to go through what is now a very large correspondence file! But my history does include familiar treatments and procedures I've read on here - Pregablin, Amitryptiline, Nerve Blocks, CT Guided and non-CT guided.

Thanks again,

Andrew
Woke up one day in February 2004 wth PN symptoms - cause not known. Numerous drugs, epidurals and nerve blocks (incl CT guided) later, PNE diagnosed in early 2010. Decompression surgery (TG) undertaken at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol in October 2011. Currently under care of Dr Gareth Greenslade, Pain Consultant, Frenchay Hospital.
peaches

Post by peaches »

Hi Andrew
I'm in the UK and have suffered from PN on and off for about 9 yrs. My pain started in the rectal area like yours and after many tests was diagnosed with Levitor Ani Symdrome. I didn't have anal fissures but did have an anal skin tag removed, which I think did more hard and good. Anyway yearly 2 yrs ago now, following cycling holiday my symptoms became worse and more varied and constant. I now know this to be PN as I found this site and a good friend called Geoff (who is not longer with us) pointed me in the direction of Dr Greenslade. I saw him in Oct 2010 and have been on Lyrica ever since. The wonder drug I call it. I know that my nerve is not healing because I tried to come off it recently without success and I now have it bilaterally too. I can't help you with your surgery question but just to let you know I there are others out here in the UK. I would have no hesitation in going back to Dr Greenslade if I did need surgery though, which I think will be my fate one day.

Take care and keep us updated on your progress with the surgery. We are all very interested because we have not heard from anyone who has had the surgery at Bristol yet.

Cheers
Peaches
PN diagnosed in 2009 by Dr Greenslade, Bristol
Symptoms for many years and numerous diagnostic tests
Currently controlled by meds - Venlafaxine and Lyrica

Return to “SURGERY”