Interview with Dr Hibner and Stephanie Pregergast

This is where we will make important announcements, accept offers of helpful tips from members, and a place for questions and discussion regarding website and forum operations and procedures.
Our Code of Conduct is also viewable here.
helenlegs 11

Interview with Dr Hibner and Stephanie Pregergast

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I have just listened to Stephanie Prendergast and Dr Michael Hibner's interview on blogtalk radio http://www.blogtalkradio.com/pelvicmess ... -hibner-md
Thought it was very informative, and was especially interested in Dr Hibners technique of selected guided blocks into the branches of the pudendal nerve before a block into the main branch to try and accurately locate the area of entrapment. They talked about imaging too, mentioning Dr Potter.
The other points of interest included diagnosing true entrapment as opposed to neuropathy, the use of physio before and after surgery, surgical re-do's and his 'tweaking' of the surgical procedure studied under Prof Robert and more. Worth listening to, just over 1 hr. Apparently you can get a transcript of the programme but I'm not sure how.
He actually gave his time while on holiday for the broadcast which really shows how passionate he is about the problem.
Last edited by helenlegs 11 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Lernica

Re: Interview with Dr Hibner and Stephanie Pregergast

Post by Lernica »

Helen,

Would love to see this show. The URL you posted doesn't seem to work though. Thanks.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

Link didn't work for me either. I typed in "Hibner" in the search box on the page that came up and found it. Try this link...http://www.blogtalkradio.com/pelvicmess ... -hibner-md

Emily B.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Thanks Emily. Have put mine right now. I have listened to a few programmes now, Stephanie was a guest a few weeks ago and was very interesting. You can go into a back catalogue and catch up with any that may be of interest. Blogtalk will e you about forthcoming programmes too. I am going to find out how to get a transcript as I was trying to two finger type while listening :)
What did you think girls ?
Last edited by helenlegs 11 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Thanks ladies. Here's a link that's not supposed to expire.

http://tinyurl.com/6bxg4oc
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
catherine a

Post by catherine a »

Thanks Violet, Just brilliant. I'll forward the link to my PN contacts.
2004 PNE following vag. hysterectomy and A & P repair. 2007 TIR surgery France. severe entrapment at Alcocks canal & SS ligaments . Have my life back. 90% cured.No longer have medical appts.or physio.Some pain remains but is tolerable. 2012 Flew from Australia to the UK without pain flare. Very manageable. Almost back to normal. Now hold support group meetings at KEMH Subiaco Perth WA. Every 2nd Sat. of the month. Still pace my activities. PN doesn't dominate any more.
susibee

Post by susibee »

Thanks so much for the link!

Edit:
I didn't understand something Dr. Hibner said at 52:50. He talked about a caller's pain on the inside of the sit bone as possibly being caused by RSD or muscle spasm. Why would RSD be a cause of that type of pain? Maybe because he was suspicious of RSD in this patient for other reasons (the foot pain), and so he thought RSD could also be a cause of the sit bone pain...

Later he mentions scarring around the nerve as a possible cause.
Vulvodynia diagnosed '01; symptom was occassional vulvar itching/rawness after sex.
Autumn '10, localized clitoral and left labial burning after sex
March '11, new left buttock pain, worsened clitoral/left labial pain/burning.
May '11, increased sitting pain.
Summer '11, pain decreased/plateaued to 0-4/5.
Treatment: 75 mg nortriptyline nightly, definitely helps; PT x 4, didn't really help.
Consults with Hibner and Dellon, left me with questions.
Next step: MRI in NYC or VT.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Thanks for posting! Can't wait to listen. Interesting question about the sit bone pain and RSD. I have been wondering the same thing about myself.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

susibee wrote:Thanks so much for the link!

Edit:
I didn't understand something Dr. Hibner said at 52:50. He talked about a caller's pain on the inside of the sit bone as possibly being caused by RSD or muscle spasm. Why would RSD be a cause of that type of pain? Maybe because he was suspicious of RSD in this patient for other reasons (the foot pain), and so he thought RSD could also be a cause of the sit bone pain...

Later he mentions scarring around the nerve as a possible cause.
I think he was trying to hypothesise why the caller was still in pain after so long. When he said 'Patients often develop reflex and sympathetic dystrophy symptoms (RSD)' I took it to mean PN patients in general (not just post surgery patients though)
As you say he thought that it could be from RSD, muscle spasm or formation of scar tissue as she hadn't had any physio at all post surgery. |I guess he could have said ' well obviously the operation hasn't worked and it sounds like the nerve is still compressed ' but wouldn't do that for diplomatic reasons. He did say that the inside (medial) of the sit bone is from alcocks canal, I guess meaning she could still be trapped there ? ?
I didn't know things could be so specific in a PN diagnosis. Why does the actual bone hurt ? mine does but only on contact and for sometime after contact. As if I had fallen on it just recently but it was over 3 years ago.
chloe

Post by chloe »

I had pain at my sit bones after I started sitting all the time again...my pain doctor actually suggested I had developed ischial bursitis. He injected the bursa with lidocaine/steroids two times within one year...it totally helped my sit bones. Just a thought...
Aug-06: PNE as a result of 15+ years of weightlifting (32 years of age)
Apr 07: Evaluation/PNMLT in Houston
Aug 07: Surgery with Dr. Hibner -- I was his 20th patient (approx).
I consider myself to be 90 - 95 % improved. The only thing I can no longer do is exercise strenuously - that is OK with me!! :)
I can walk for exercise, hike, and use the elliptical -- all very carefully of course.

Return to “ANNOUNCEMENTS & COMMUNITY”