Sent my daughter off to med school yesterday . . .

Here is a place for social chats with special attention to support and non medical discussions. We need a place to chill out, where we can distract from our pain and enjoy lighter moments, share a joke or funny moment with others.
Lernica

Sent my daughter off to med school yesterday . . .

Post by Lernica »

:( :P :( :P :( :P Such mixed emotions. So happy and proud to see her go and fulfil her dream. Sad to see her go. Happy that she's finally out on her own. Sad that she'll probably never live at home again. Happy that she'll be joining a collegial group of like-minded kids and making new and everlasting friends. Sad that my relationship with her has probably seen its closest days. Happy that she's independent enough in the kitchen to eat well on her own. Sad that I'll be losing my best kitchen helper. Overall though, absolutely thrilled that she's making this journey and that there'll be at least one more PN-aware doctor in our community.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
janetm2

Re: Sent my daughter off to med school yesterday . . .

Post by janetm2 »

How wonderful for you your daughter and the PN community. I was thinking of suggesting this to my niece that is planning on going to med school as she likes challenges and what could be more challenging!
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
nyt

Post by nyt »

I totally understand those mixed emotions. It is a mother thing. How proud you must be though!!! Keep us updated on her medical school journey. It will be an eye opener for her with how much material is covered in one session. I'll never forget one time I spent the day with a good friend during her first year in medical school and they covered in one 50 minute lecture what it took 3-4 weeks in a college class. It is really kicked up a notch! She'll enjoy the challenge and she'll know everyone else is in the same boat.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Laura

Post by Laura »

Congratulations! I went through what you're going through a number of years ago,and I certainly understand you're mixed emotions :) :cry: . It is a time of transition and transitions are always hard. In time her not living with you will be the norm. It's wonderful she's leaving for a good reason and not for some romantic relationship that might screw up her life. Hang in there. :) :)
calluna

Post by calluna »

I know how you feel, because I've been there. My daughter qualified as a doctor this summer, and she's now working in Scotland. It has been a long haul for her, with a lot of extremely hard work - both academic and on the wards - long hours of travelling and very unsocial hours - but she is where she wants to be, doing what she wants to do, and is finding it very rewarding.

I hope that it goes well for your daughter, too!
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Big Conrgats and hugs to you, Lernica! I can understand how you feel. This is a new chapter in your life! You may not have the relationship with your daughter that you once had, but I'm sure you'll both grow into a new, loving, mature one as you both go through this new stage in life.
I wish the very best for you and your family! :)
Love,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Congrats and some big hugs too. My kids are younger but when my 13 year old was away at camp this summer, for only a week, it seemed so quiet and I got this kind of panicky feeling thinking he will be gone in only six years. And he is only the 1st, I have a 7 year old! Do you have more or is your nest empty now? That is awesome that your daughter will be one more of the few COMPASSIONATE Doctors out there someday. Be very proud!
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.

Return to “SOCIAL DISCUSSIONS & FUN”