CT guided nerve blocks

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Mahzi

CT guided nerve blocks

Post by Mahzi »

I had 3 CT guided nerve blocks with steroids in begium when i first had this problem in 2004 with a gap of 4 months each and then got total relief. Then when the pain came back was advised surgery i cant. understand why some people say they only get a few hours or days of relief is it some other nerve block.
Regards mahzi
JeanieC

Re: CT guided nerve blocks

Post by JeanieC »

It is very common to get relief from the local anesthetic in the nerve block (just like your mouth being numb when the dentist gives you an injection for dental work), but for the steroids not to work, or even cause a pain flare, which is usually temporary. If this is what happens, and the block was under CT guidance, then it is considered diagnostic as far as the pudendal nerve being the one which is causing pain. If the pain relief lasts for months, as yours did, then these are considered therapeutic blocks.
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Has anyone else had long-term relief from a pudendal nerve block, like Mahzi? I would only do it if there was some hope of this. I definitely do not need it for diagnostic purposes.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
kebosa23

Post by kebosa23 »

Hello mahzi , i also discovered that in i have this problem early this yr, been on a selfcare program, that has helped with the pain, i did an unguided nerve block with Dr NTOLAK, IN mn, but i still have pain with intercourse and BM, did you have any of the above symptoms and is it okay to just have the guided nerveblocks only??
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Saw this was your first post Kebosa and just wanted to say hi. . . . Were you asking if the nerve blocks should always be guided for a good effect ? I think this is always best but Dr Antolak ? ? is well known for PN diagnosis and treatment (although I have no personal experience) I think there are a couple of Dr's who do them unguided as they have a good knowledge of the pelvic anatomy and nerves? ? Did your unguided block have any effect?
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
kebosa23

Post by kebosa23 »

hellen hello. nope the 1 and only unguided nerve block i had provided no relieve at all, infact it was sooo painful for a few days. i just decided to stop going for the blocks, i have read that if there is no relieve from one block, but the block causes numbness, your nerve is probably trapped, and the only cure is decompression surgery.also its very dangerous to have an unguided block from a doc who is not a neurologist as this can completely damage the nerve. also if the first block does not provide any relieve, there is no point of going for the second or third as this cannot decompress the nerve but cause more damage. also i read theres a doctor in NY called DR hollis potter, who does the MRI of the pudendal nerve, this will be more beneficial than the painful blocks.. please DO NOT DO THESE BLOCKS UNNECESSARILY. i have a consultation in the yr 2012 with PROff AMARENCO, AND PROF ROGER ROBERT.in nantes francce.
donstore

Post by donstore »

Kebosa23,
I also had one unguided block which numbed my pain area but stopped after that due to negative side effects (sciatica for 5 mos.), Keep us posted on your progress and feedback from Amarenco and Robert. Good luck.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
kebosa23

Post by kebosa23 »

oh Don, the block i had caused numbness and my pelvic pain had already gone by that time, i jst did not like it because it was so painful and caused sciatica for while. yes i will give you an update. from my visit.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Good luck with your appointment next year. As Don said I would love to know the outcome and what treatment Prof Robert proposes for you.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Len

Post by Len »

Hi,

I see this thead is from a few months ago, but maybe someone is still out there!

I had a doctor tell me he would not do a CT guided block because it gives off an incredible amount of radiation, equal to about 500 x rays.

Has anybody heard of this before?

This doctor did give me a block in another place (ganglion impar) using xray guided technique (flouoscopy)... but said you cannot see the pudendal nerve without CT or MRI.

Thanks!

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”