Reduce tension in perineum

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
reckless

Reduce tension in perineum

Post by reckless »

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to reduce tension in the perineum area? I've managed to reduce a lot of tension and pretty much eliminate my perineum pain altogether by massaging the muscles near my rectum. I'm now able to sit for longer periods of time. But I still have tension in my perineum and lower innter glutes which is stopping me from being 100%.

Any tips? Perhaps I should see a professional masseuse?

Or just massage a bit harder. Even though the tension is in the perineum I believe it is being radiated from the lower inner glutes.
Violet M

Re: Reduce tension in perineum

Post by Violet M »

Reckless, have you tried taking a muscle relaxer yet -- like valium? How about alternating ice and heat? Accupunture?

Just brainstorming....

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
reckless

Post by reckless »

Yes I'm on Valium for the past 3 days, it certainly knocks u out! Dont know if it's helping. I have the option of seeing a pelvic floor physiotherapist but I'm a bit apprehensive of a woman of seeing me without my underwear.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

I say book a professional massage and tell them to concentrate on those lower glutes. It will feel great no matter if it takes your perineum discomfort away. It's worth a try before you subject yourself to an uncomfortable PT visit.

cm
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Reckless, the PT's are very professional and they do this all the time. Do what you need to do to get well. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Hi Reckless,
I do my own TP (triggerpoint massage) on just about every muscle from lower waist to knees, including the glutes and all lumbar, buttock and thigh muscles. In the last few years, coincidental with PN/E, all of those muscles are tight for me most of the time :( . I couldn't afford to keep paying out for physio so after 4 sessions I bought a great book and did the massage myself - it's not difficult and I didn't need prior medical knowledge. You say you already massage your buttocks so you may be interested in my story on the Success board under 'Success - with a twist'.
I wouldnt worry about any nakedness on a pt table, they are very adept at putting strategic towels in the right places :)
Good luck, love to know how you get on ....
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”