Opinions Please?

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
ChrisUK

Opinions Please?

Post by ChrisUK »

Hi, Hope you can help. I have a couple of questions that wouldnt mind some opinions. After going through a very difficult 2 years i thought that things were improving. I am seeing a great Physio in Dublin and life was liveable again. I have been on Amitryptyline nearly 12 months which am concerned about. Each time i attempt to stop or reduce the withdrawal symptoms arent great but pain returns to previous levels. I am only on 10mg which i understand is low dose. I am concerned to remain on this forever and can find no data or recommendations anywhere online, would really welcome your thoughts. Secondly the physio has identified many trigger points in anal area (has always been my pain area). Does the identifying of trigger points rule out Pudendal? I am still getting conflicting reports as to what my problem is. Many thanks.
janetm2

Re: Opinions Please?

Post by janetm2 »

I have been taking amitriptylene at 25 mg nightly for some 12-15 years for nerve pain in my large toes and have not had any problems. They did try to raise it (actually double it to 50mg) to see if it would help the pudendal but then I had blurred vision, etc so they had me go back to my regular dose and try gabapentin. I did read in the AARP (forgot what the acronym stands for but for over 50 year olds) and they said it can be an issue for older (since I am now 50 ) I would say it may have been folks 60 or70+ years. Not sure about your other question. Good Luck.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

ChrisUK wrote:Does the identifying of trigger points rule out Pudendal?
Chris, I don't think trigger points would rule out pudendal. I had lots of trigger points with PN.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Amitriptyline was developed in the late 50s and there is plenty of evidence that it is very safe.
I second what Violet wrote. 100% of the population has trigger points.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
shawnmellis

Post by shawnmellis »

I also third what Violet wrote. PN/PNE requires more diagnostics than trigger points. Have you had any other tests for PNE and if so which ones? EMG, PNMLT, CAT scan pudendal nerve blocks, physical exam by somebody trained in PNE, SIJD test, Piriformis Test, etc. There are numerous tests, but having some of the first 4 tests mentioned are usually the most helpful tests for diagnosis. If you provide more information regarding symptoms, cause, etc, we may also be able to help you better. There's Always Hope.
Shawn
Bringing Help Awareness Education to Patients & Doctors about PNE through Videos at http://www.YouTube.com/PudendalNerve & PudendalHope.com Please tell Dr. Oz to cover topic of PNE by going to http://www.doctoroz.com/contact Started 1/2010. Initial urinary tract infection in 1/2010. Medication: Diazepam, Tramadol. 4 nerve blocks. physical reinjury 8/2010. 7/2011 Potter MRI Varices dorsal branch 8/23/11 Diagnosis Entrapment of Dorsal Branch Dr. Lee Dellon There's Always Hope!
calluna

Post by calluna »

Hi Chris - I doubt very much that you need to be at all concerned about taking 10mg of amitriptyline daily for a year - this is indeed a very low dose. The effective dosage for depression is up to 300mg daily, after all. For pain relief, the usual dose is 10 - 50 mg so you really are right at the bottom of the scale here, and it is a very safe and well understood medication.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”