What do you think?

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Lola2

What do you think?

Post by Lola2 »

It is logical to think that neurophysiologically that although the continuous nerve entrapment can be painful for a short period of time, soon would gave rise to a total loss of sensitivity because the nerve could not continue to operate in a situation of permanent entrapment.?

Lola2
HerMajesty

Re: What do you think?

Post by HerMajesty »

No, it's not logical to assume something that has been demonstrated to be untrue in reality. Entrapmet compresses but does not sever the nerve. Hence sensory and / or motor function are only impaired. If the nerve is severed, all sensory and motor function would cease. In the case of the pudendal nerve would cause loss of bladder and bowel control, which is why people don't get it cut. While pudendal entrapment causes progressive pain and dysfunction, i am not familiar with any cases where the condition progressed until it acted essentially equal to a severed nerve. Maybe that has happened, but considering how long some of us have gone without proper diagnosis and treatment, it would probably take at least a decade or two if not longer.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Redz

Post by Redz »

I would have to agree with HerMajasty, if the nerve gets entrapped it would continue to send pain, Sensory and motor'signals, if the nerve was cut there would be not path for the signals but we have a PN nerve bilaterly
So i have a question. From what I understand If you have an entrapment on lets say the left side would it not be possible to sever the PN on that side while still leaving the right side to service the bowel and bladder? Is it possible,has it ever been tried? Does anyone know what side does what?I know there is such a thing as bilateral entrapment and that seems to be when you loose bowel and bladder function.
Thanks Redz
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Redz wrote: From what I understand If you have an entrapment on lets say the left side would it not be possible to sever the PN on that side while still leaving the right side to service the bowel and bladder? Is it possible,has it ever been tried? Does anyone know what side does what?I know there is such a thing as bilateral entrapment and that seems to be when you loose bowel and bladder function
Well, I had bilateral PN entrapment, Redz. My bowels and bladder were definitely affected, however, I was not totally incontinent. I experienced pain and urgency with both and have significant improvements in this regard after the surgery. More so with the bladder. The PN should NEVER be severed, regardless of which side. It just doesn't work that way. The other side will not pick up the slack. Everyone's nerves run differently and branch differently.
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Redz wrote: So i have a question. From what I understand If you have an entrapment on lets say the left side would it not be possible to sever the PN on that side while still leaving the right side to service the bowel and bladder? Is it possible,has it ever been tried? Does anyone know what side does what?I know there is such a thing as bilateral entrapment and that seems to be when you loose bowel and bladder function.
Thanks Redz
I think the fear is you could still have phantom pain.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”