Groin pain

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Faith

Groin pain

Post by Faith »

Those of you who have groin pain, what does it feel like? Ever since I tried ESWT and ART in Cornwall Canada with Dr. Andrew, I've been experiecing burning in my groin and upper hamstring area. My muscles in that area are very tight (as they are all over my body!), but I'm not sure if they are reacting to the pain or are causing the pain. I am also worried about genitofemoral neuralgia/entrapment now. Any flexion of my hip increase the pain, but really it's all the time whether standing or lying down.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Jax87

Re: Groin pain

Post by Jax87 »

Hi Faith,
I don't know anything about the genitofemoral nerve, but the groin pain feels basically like you describe it. It feels kinda tight, burning, and sore. Not like nerve pain, it's muscular, at least for me. Mine increases with walking or sitting, but its really about a 1-2 pain. I don't know what it would be like without meds. In a way, for me at least, I think those muscles are both reacting to and causing the pain if that makes any sense.

If it increases with hip flexion, I still think you should get a hip MRI. That's one of the first simple tests the doctor does for hip issues, they flex your hip to see if it increases your groin/joint pain at different angles. A lot of the ladies on the hip forums report groin pain too. You might want to check them out.

I will keep you posted as I hear more about hip/groin pain stuff. Hope this helps some.

Hugs,
Jackie
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

My groin pain is deep and achy and in a defined (groin) line although it doesn't actually 'join' to my hip, tho' my hip does hurt , it hurts more with a firm press at the side.
It usually develops sequentially, piriformis/buttock ache then some hip pain then groin although it sometime justs occurs when I have lain on my side for a while. This pain usually eases when I turn over but once the sequential pain is there, always from activity, it takes some time (and tablets) to subside.
Can't remember if you have had your hip checked faith? might be a good consideration as Jax said.
I'm pretty sure that in my case it's the piriformis with a possible SIJD component that is responsible. Sorry can't be any more help.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Hi Sunil,

I have followed your case and looked at Peter Dornan's work. I do have SIJD thought to be due to ligament laxity. Unfortuantely I have not had success at "fixing" it as core strengthening flares up my PN/pelvic floor pain and my ligaments have been strained beyond the point of doing their job. Have thought about prolo, but am not sure this is the right thing for me. It is something I am exploring. I do think some of my groin pain is coming from the symphysis pubis. A new PT I went to a couple of weeks ago did a stretch of my hip flexors which really seems to have made the groin/pubic pain worse. I think they might have strained my inguinal ligmament now. I am hoping the burning in the groin area is just cross talk between the PN and maybe the genitofemoral. Massage does seem to help some.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
knormal1

Post by knormal1 »

DOXEPIN WORKED FOR MY GROIN & HIP PAIN

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”