To all those of you who already have a nerve block

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
hope

To all those of you who already have a nerve block

Post by hope »

Hello, I have a very important question to all those of you who have already have a pudendal nerve block: Did you gain weight? Because I know they use steroids and I know steroids cause weight gain. I looked up the side effects of nerve blocks and unfortunately there was weight gain. Is it mandatory to use steroids?

Could you please share your personal experience? If you have gained weight then how much? Was it reversible? Was it water or fat? Please let me know all the details.

Thanks in advance!
hauben6

Re: To all those of you who already have a nerve block

Post by hauben6 »

I know that I gained 10-15 lbs since my injury, but I don't specifically remember gaining weight from any of the (3) pn blocks. I was a very active person before pn, and now my life has been remodeled and therefore, my metabolism has changed.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

The steroids from a nerve block are injected locally and are active in your body for a limited time. Steroids are associated with weight gain because people with disorders that require long term oral steroid therapy will generally gain quite a bit of weight. The nerve blocks should not be a worry that way.
Unfortunately, as hauben6 said, many of us gain weight with PN because of trouble continuing previous levels of activity, and because of other meds we might be on. But I don't think the nerve blocks themselves are a worry - except indirectly: If you have a daily excercise routine and you happen to be a person who has a period of increased pain after the block, you might not be up to excercising for awhile.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

Ive had 4-5 blocks in thepast 3 years and i did not notice weight gain, nothing like prednizone or other steriods like that.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”