Dr. Struan Coleman

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
smitzel

Dr. Struan Coleman

Post by smitzel »

Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Coleman? I have labral tears and FAI on both my hips. He is recommending surgery one at a time. He said he has done over 100 surgeries on people w/ pelvic pain and labral tears and there seems to be a definite link. I'm wondering if he is just another dr. trying to get rich like some others. He said 90-95% of people get hip relief while 80% of people's vaginal pain goes away. I just want to make sure this is accurate before i make the big leap. Thanks for all input.
Stephanie
Suffering for 11 years after running marathons and weight lifting. Diagnosed with PN by Dr. Antolak in 2006 and Dr. Weiss in 2010. Taking Cymbalta, Gabapentin and Baclofin. Just made an appointment to see Dr. Hibner for MRI and consultation for surgery, can't get me in until Dec.
Jax87

Re: Dr. Struan Coleman

Post by Jax87 »

Hi Stephanie,
I also have FAI and labral tears on both of my hips with pelvic pain. I have not had surgery with Dr. Coleman, but Beverley on this board had surgery with him 8 weeks ago and has almost no more PN pain! He is one of the best hip surgeons in the country. My gynecologist's partner, Dr. Coady, has been doing a study with him on the connection between pelvic pain and hip issues. The results have been pretty good. You can search in the forum for links to more info about this. There is no guarantee that you will get better, but he is definitely not a quack. It can take up to a year after surgery to feel better though, because your muscles have to realign themselves and stop clamping on your nerves.

Good luck!
Jackie
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
davemon1953

Post by davemon1953 »

I had the labral tear and CAM type FAI surgery just done three weeks ago. I have had bad PN for 18 months. I am doing the other hip in three weeks. So far no PN improvement but it is too early of course. The surgery lasted three hours with DR Ochiai in Arlington VA. I was off crutches in one day and walking 1/2 mile after two weeks. Now i feel no pain from the surgery. I think this doctor is an expert on FAI repair. I would advise skipping any hip PT afterwards, it just flares the PN.

I am male, 59, desperate like all of you. I have my fingers crossed that by XMAS this PN devil will be gone.
pregmom

Post by pregmom »

Hi Davemom

It is great to hear you are up and moving so quickly after your surgery. Would you mind stating what your symptoms were prior to surgery and if you did in fact have hip pain?

I just had the hip injection last Friday at HSS to determine if I could possibly be a candidate for surgery. Trying to gather as much info as possible!
AroraNightfire

Post by AroraNightfire »

What is a labral tear? and FAI?

Return to “SURGERY”