Pt- has anyone gotten worse, or new symptoms afterward

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
Aleclucy11

Pt- has anyone gotten worse, or new symptoms afterward

Post by Aleclucy11 »

Hi, i am considering traveling to a well respected pt, with my local pt along, to try and see if we can get pt to make a difference. I am concerned that I may end up with new pain, or a serious flare that may not resolve. You can look at my history, I have tried pt for a long time, but had the perineal branch dissection in June with Dr. marvel, still no improvement, but wondering if it is related to my incision......so we are embarking on a journey to find out what pt can or cannot do for me. I have left sided perineal pain, near levator ani, what do you think.....could I end up worse, or would it be okay to rule this out!

Thanks everyone, appreciate your thoughts.

:) kara
Karyn

Re: Pt- has anyone gotten worse, or new symptoms afterward

Post by Karyn »

Hi Kara,
I wish you the best with your new PT endeavor. I'm very impressed with your current PT and her willingness to accompany you.
I understand your concerns about pain flares and acuiring new symptoms. But, the only way to find out is to try. Listen to your body as you're going through these treatments and try to keep an open dialogue going with your therapist. If you have increased pain or no response, you'll have to communicate that and then make a decision whether to continue or not.
Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
shana

Re: Pt- has anyone gotten worse, or new symptoms afterward

Post by shana »

Hi Kara,
I know you posted a while ago but I just came across it now. Back in 2008 when I started PT I was only going for vaginal pain (at that point that was the only location of my pain) which was only on contact. The therapist would stretch me besides the internal work she did. While seeing her is when I developed hip pain which turned out to be a labral tear. My husband is convinced she caused the tear. I don't know if that's possible but I never had hip problems before. I do believe that a therapist who doesn't know what she's doing can cause harm, just like any medical provider. I started with a PT who was young and obviously knew to field (she wasn't even 30 yet) she was my 4th PT, she kept asking me did your previous therapist do it like this>? what they do different? Am I doing it right? I ran right out the door!

Good luck
Shana
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments