yeast and anal pain?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
kathyd

yeast and anal pain?

Post by kathyd »

Hi
has anyone here every been told that an overgrowth of yeast could cause all these pudendal problems? Someone posted to me on Facebook and was seeing a homeopath who according to her, helped her by "detoxing" her of her yeast.. she said bad IC caused her anal pain too (which I never heard of) She was trying to help, but instead scared me.
After years of research I believe my ICwas caused by nerve issues as is my anal pain .
I have sometimes cultured with yeast overgrowth when my doc checks but rarely have any yeast symptoms. She did not believe in any diets!
I went that route a few years ago when my problems were only IC bladder related and saw a homeopathic doc or two ... and it was bad for me overall...caused huge weight loss as now I was eliminating not only acidic foods but carbs that were good for me, only cause they had yeast ! ( I am normally when well only 112 lbs ..gentically thin) I lost so much weight due to these diets and guess what.. no improvement in symptoms...
Every holistic doc I see would bring up the eliminaiion diets even tho I was rail thin... it was like a religion to them (hope I don't offend anyone). Anyway Ive never been able to gain the weight back,and don;t want to go there again.
Anyway they scared me so much I became afraid to eat anything (that could possibly have yeast and it took a long time for me to eat more normally again..
Every so often tho I hear from someone who saids PN IC etc are due to yeast overgrowth.
Because I do culture postive at times I often wonder if this is why I can't achieve pain relief? I don't believe in this deep down, but when someone brings it up it I get scared
as I cant afford elimation diets asI am now only 96 lbs from years of pain and fear. I will end up in the hosp for malnutrition!
Any thoughts?.I honeslty would like to put this yeast theory to rest as it only hurt me..
Moderators and experienced Pn'er what do you think? Thx soo much all.

Thx!
Violet M

Re: yeast and anal pain?

Post by Violet M »

Wow, that's a tough one Kathy. Some docs believe in the yeast diagnosis and some don't when it comes to being the cause of various symptoms throughout the body. I was recently told by a physician that I have signs of candida in my throat but another doc said that is baloney. He is an immunologist and said to have some type of immune globlulin test to see if my immune system was too weak to fight off the yeast but I haven't done it yet. He says you don't get yeast infections unless you have a weak immune system. Anyway, I don't know who to believe. As far as being the cause of PNE I remember one gal who thought her PNE started due to a yeast infection but I know for me it was clearly a mechanical issue caused by weightlifting. None of the diets ever helped me and I'm thin also so I don't want to lose weight.

Sorry, I don't have any earthshaking answers other than to say I can understand your confusion. There is no way I can go on the cleansing diet and the candida diet as prescribed but I do avoid dessert and lots of breads. I try to eat a lot of fish and protein and lots of fresh veggies, nuts and beans. I think chicken and beef are OK too. Hope I haven't added to your confusion.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

I think the connection between IC and anal pain, if not that both are caused directly by neuropathy, is that IC pain can lead to pelvic floor dysfunction which can lead to anal pain. I have had IC since age 14 and I have learned that it is a very catch-all diagnosis: I got it due to pelvic injury, 30% of IC petients seem to have it secondary to sjogren's syndrome, some seem to have a precipitating factor of a chemical exposure such as a wrongly maintained swimming pool, or a series of infections...Basically, saying IC is like saying "sore throat": It describes a set of symptoms, not a single syndrome. So whether your friend has yeast as an underlying factor is neither here nor there in my opinion.
As to elimination diets, my son got severe yeast overgrowth because of frequent courses of antibiotics and steroids he had to take for respiratory issues. His doctor did not change his diet at all, just gave him a course of probiotics and vitamins. That worked fine. So, if you are concerned about yeast FYI it can be eliminated without weight loss, and the #1 step is finding a good quality probiotic.
Also, many of us who have IC were put onto a series of antibiotics for "bladder infections" before being properly diagnosed: were you? If so, the yeast could be an effect of the antibiotic therapy, rather than a cause of any of your problems. My son was treated for the yeast overgrowth because it caused him chronic fatigue; no other symptoms.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I've been taking probiotics HM, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Is there a good brand you can recommend?

How was your son diagnosed with yeast and how did they know that's what was causing the chronic fatigue? I am hearing such conflicting things from the docs.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Hi Violet,
My son wound up needing sinus surgery and adenoid removal after a series of respiratory infections - the CAT scan of his sinuses was totally opaque. So it seemed like no mystery as to why his energy was dragging...except for when he was recovered from surgery and his sinuses were draining well, he was still tired all the time.
I cannot say 100% that yeast was the primary or only problem because his doc ran several blood tests and a stool test, and found his gut to be colonized with yeast as well as several vitamin deficiencies. I believe, thjough, that the two go hand in hand - not sure, but I don't think having an overabundance of yeast and not enough normal bacterial flora in your gut will allow for proper vitamin absorbtion. He was put on a regiman of probiotics and vitamins simultaneously though, so I can't say for sure that he wouldn't have gotten better on vitamins alone.
The brand of probiotics was specified by his doctor which i appreciated because i know there are a lot of them out there, and many seem questionable to me. The stuff we used was a Metagenics brand product called Proboulardi. I kept the bottle so I know what he took, but my eyesight isn't what it used to be so I am not going to type out the active ingredients. I'm sure you can find it online. It seems to contain 3 different organisms in large quantities.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about yeast based on what you have said. I was treated for yeast repeatedly with every manner of cream and pills over about a 1.5 year period for my vulvodynia. All it achieved was making the inflammation worse. The only thing that really helped the one time I actually tested positive for yeast was boric acid capsules intravaginally. They are much better because they are local and non-irritating. My doctor prescribed them. Eating normally and not stressing too much about yeast will probably reduce your overall stress. Good luck!
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Thanks, HM. I'll look it up the probiotic online. ;)

Violet
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Thx folks for the all the info..
I appreciate it ..I need a good probiotic ., thanks for recommendation HM..There are so many out there you don't know what to buy and docs won't offer any advice on them in my experience

\
ritak

Post by ritak »

I take a probiotic called Ultimate Flora 50 billion. I have had issues in the past and now with yeast infections. Now more for some reason. My Dr. recomends taking 2-3 of these a day on an empty stomach.Then reducing the amount when I do not have an infection. I also take Kyolic Garlic Candida Cleanse and Digestion. She recomended the digestive enzymes also.Then after a 2-3 months I am suppose to switch brands of the probiotic as your body gets used to them. I get mine from either Amazon or Vitacost, both online.This has helped me from getting reoccuringyeast infections.I also eat gluten free and limited dairy diet for reasons of overall pain.
Hopefully this will help for you.
Rita
perineal pain started may 2011
continue to take Tramadol daily, Vicodin as needed
Dr Antolak diagnosed PN in Jan 2012, not sure about his diagnosis
recomendations he gave me were injections....which I decided not to do
currently seeing Dr Chad Beiler for chiropractic treatment. all of my many practitioners have diagnosed me with pelvic instability, a rotated right leg and pelvis,femoralacetabular impingement left hip,muscle spasm in obturatur internus muscle
about 70% better
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Rita
Thanks for the probiotic recommendation
It does make sense to switch the probiotics once awhile.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”