acupuncture

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
shana

acupuncture

Post by shana »

I decided to see an acupuncturist to help with pain. Since I'm extremely sensitive to pain meds and can't find one I can tolerate and no other treatment has been of help I decided to go the noninvasive route. I was wondering if anyone else tried acupuncture and if it helped?

I've done acupuncture for migraines and it did help so I'm hoping it will help for my other pain
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments
More PT
6/14 Dr. Hibner confirmed diagnosis
Looking for help..hoping for answers
Violet M

Re: acupuncture

Post by Violet M »

Shana, I can't really say it helped me much but there are some other posts from people who say it did help them. You can do a search in the upper right corner on acupuncture and a list of posts comes up.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Shana, I was just now discussing acupuncture with my husband tonight. I had talked with a PN doctor's office staff and she recommended I try it. I did once actually, but the person was not experienced enough in pelvic pain. I think I am going to try it again. I say why not!

Too bad I do not live close to this place. Has anyone on the board been here?
http://www.hiddenrhythmacupuncture.com
They treat PN.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

I have great success with acupuncture. First I had the decompression surgery then acupuncture. He did a circle of needles around the scar that broke up the scar tissue and continued eith other needles. Most recently he found putting the needles in my left upper lip significantly lowered my rectal pain. I am continuing since isn't totally gone but it not constantly at a high level. My PN aware gynecologist gave me his name as the 1 of 20 acupunturists he knows that was the right one for me.
good luck
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Hi Shana

I am in the uk and have recently gone back to acupuncture as i feel it is worth another try.

I have had some trigger point elimination success in my leg - minimal sustainable relief in my main vulva pain so far but still hoping. I am still on pain medication as well.

If you are looking for a practitioner there seems to be a difference between chinese and western style acupuncture in training and approach.

Hope you find someone suitable and that it goes well for you.

Rosemary
shana

Post by shana »

So I started acupuncture a few weeks ago with a Korean man though he was trained in the US. tomorrow will be my 5th visit but as of now I haven't seen any change. I'm wondering if its worth continuing or maybe I need an authentic orientation man. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Americans I'm just wondering if maybe there will be a better outcome with a Chinese man. I also do t know where to find them and I don't want to travel to far as I'm told to see best results I need to go twice a week.

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
More PT
More PT
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Since I am in the thread I thought I would should answer. Unfortunately I have to say I do not have an great advice. I had that good initial help so I stayed with my guy for over ayear before I had the next big help. So it could take time but he decided to look futher I think and could have done that sooner? Not sure howw long to try before going to another or even how best to choose. Wish I had more but can only say what I experienced. I hope someone else has some guidance.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
corybaby

Post by corybaby »

Tomorrow will be my sixth acupunture treatment and probably my last....ive had no success with it, thinking of try :( ing lyrica or cymbalta again....really dont know what to do, the pn is a bitch.........having needles spun in my perineum is totally embarassing and not working either....sure my backs all f---d up and he loaded up all the other areas too but its not the answer..damn
cory :cry:
shana

Post by shana »

I actually had to skip acupuncture this week but I'm glad to say that my pain in my right hip radiating down my leg has all but gone away. The acupuncturist treating me said it works best when the doctors don't know why something is causing you pain, as far as my hips and pudendal pain there is an actual cause for it which is why he feels that has not gotten better.
Cory, I'm sorry things are not working. I find it interesting that you are getting needles right into the perineum. The way it was explained to me, the needles are put not in the area of pain but in the areas connected to what's causing pain, so he's been putting needles on my back, spine, legs, ankles, knees, arms and it has helped my radiating pain to just about zero and I do think it has lessened the hip/groin pain. I don't think it helped with the pudendal pain but I wonder if your guy is putting needles in the wrong place. Honestly I don't know much about acupuncture so don't go by what I'm saying, I'm just repeating what my guy told me.
Good luck!
More PT
More PT
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

I have had needles in the perineum and the surrounding area - i am sure it is ok - this was done by a doctor for me who works for the pain management clinic i go to.

Western style acupuncture has a different approach to Chinese style - from what i have read western style is a mix of chinese but needles go closer to the area of pain as well.

I have now given up acupuncture.

Of the twelve sessions I had four sessions were with needles directly in the vulva area - once with the electric wires attached to the needles - i had to evaluate by the fifth time if things were getting any better - i had pain relief while the needles were in but little change in muscle tightness overall and improvement wasn't sustained during the following week.

Also on the fifth appointment i chickened out :oops: - guess you begin to know what is coming - it is a sensitive area to have needles put in.

The acupuncturist was also questioning how much more she could try on me - she had tried several different tacks. She did get rid of trigger points mainly in my leg and some rest of body but the main vulva pain /muscle tightness is still the ongoing problem.

I so wanted it all to help me more - there is a little ? in my head as to whether i should have continued - just hope i made the right decision .

Glad that it is helping you though Shana :)

Rosemary x

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”