MYELIN SHEATH REGENERATION

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
A's Mommy

MYELIN SHEATH REGENERATION

Post by A's Mommy »

I had posted this on TIPNA as well, but thought I could get a response here too.

Dear friends,

I hope everyone had a warm and loving Thanksgiving.

I have read so many contradicting things about myelin sheath regeneration. I am assuming that if my nerve was compressed and entrapped (which it was; in scar tissue) that the nerve's myelin sheath was damaged as well.

I am experiencing electric shocks and jolts; sometimes stronger than pre-op. I know this is to be expected, as the nerve had tissue cut off it, was moved, transposed, wrapped, etc. I have read that the shocks and jolts could be part of the myelin sheath regenerating. I know I'm just barely a month out. I just have questions.

For those of you who've gone through the surgery (regardless of who the operating physician was) please tell me any info you might know about myelin sheath regeneration and electric shocks/jolts/tingles post op.

My best to you,

AM
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
Karyn

Re: MYELIN SHEATH REGENERATION

Post by Karyn »

Hi AM!
I have no answer to your question, but it certainly does make sense. After all, aren't the nerves scraped to some degree to remove the scar tissue?
Maybe that's where the term "raw nerves" comes from? :lol:
Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
ezer

Post by ezer »

A's mommy,
I experience continuous burning pain. Pretty much the same as before surgery.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
catherine a

Post by catherine a »

Hi AM,

I did experience lots of shocks and tingles along with all the other weird and painful sensations that come with PNE. It's like an electrical cord with interruptions. I experienced these types of shocks for a very long time after surgery. Hard to say for how long as it seemed to settle with time.(probably a good 2 years.) 3 years after surgery I still get the odd firing shock through the vagina or rectum but they are very few and far between nowadays. Don't judge your recovery by the month, I ended up judging by the year.
Dr. Bautrant told me not to expect healing to really begin for about 12 months. In my case, he was correct. I didn't feel much change in pain levels for almost 18 months. I've come a long way since then. Take each day as it comes as no two days will be the same. I found that no two months were the same either. Do what you can to get you through the day and no more. This recovery cannot be rushed. I believe as the nerve recovers the myelin sheath surrounding the nerve will recover too. It is scary when these shocks hit and I do know that I experienced this type of shock years ago long before PN set in. I used to laugh along with my work colleagues whenever I jumped out of my seat. I didn't have a clue that it would be so serious later on. One nurse at the hospital told me she herself has these shocks in her rectum quite regularly and now that she's learning of PN she is more aware of what's causing it.
AM, I don't think you should worry about this too much as it will become less as time goes by.

Catherine
2004 PNE following vag. hysterectomy and A & P repair. 2007 TIR surgery France. severe entrapment at Alcocks canal & SS ligaments . Have my life back. 90% cured.No longer have medical appts.or physio.Some pain remains but is tolerable. 2012 Flew from Australia to the UK without pain flare. Very manageable. Almost back to normal. Now hold support group meetings at KEMH Subiaco Perth WA. Every 2nd Sat. of the month. Still pace my activities. PN doesn't dominate any more.
acw

Post by acw »

Hi AM,

I have not had the pudendal decompression surgery, but do have some experience with nerve damage and regeneration, so thought I'd share some of my insight.

First of all, I believe that the myelin sheath is kind of like the insulation around the nerve fibre. It doesn't actually carry the signals, although degradation of it can cause problems with how the nerve conducts the signals. When the nerve is damaged, the myelin sheath provides the correct path for the nerve to follow as it regenerates.

I had nerve damage to my ilioinguinal nerve, to the point I was experiencing pain and the "electrical shock" feelings. Skipping the long story of lots of trials and errors, my eventual treatment was cryoablation of the nerve. This freezes and destroys the part of the nerve that conveys the signals, but actually leaves the outer sheath intact. I received about 7 months of complete relief. Then I started to experience some of the same symptoms again, most likely from the nerve regenerating and being able to send those signals again. Nine months after the first cryoablation, I had that procedure repeated. I think that's been almost 3 years ago now. By saving the myelin sheath, it may have spared me some complications that can arise from the whole thing being severed and not being able to regrow along the correct path. Hopefully the pain is a thing of the past for me, but I wouldn't hesitate to have the cryoablation repeated in the future if any symptoms come back. (And for the record, cryo is NOT an option for the pudendal nerve since it also controls motor function.)

In your case, I'm guessing that the myelin sheath may be okay (at least not too badly damaged) and what you are feeling is from the nerve fibre itself being being aggravated. Between being entrapped, then handled during the surgery, I'm not surprised that it's "acting up". Hopefully the decompression will allow the nerve to heal and regenerate as necessary, and that your symptoms will diminsh over time.

Take care,
Anita
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

AM, after reading the PN forums for 6 years I can tell you it's very common to have shocks in the early months after surgery as the nerve regenerates. I experienced this, especially months 3 and 4 so hang in there and don't be too alarmed yet. I rarely get shocks anymore -- maybe once or twice a month I'll get a small one.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”