Has anyone had a colonoscopy with anal PN?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
nebbias01

Has anyone had a colonoscopy with anal PN?

Post by nebbias01 »

Has anyone had had a colonoscopy with anal PN?
I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy in 4 weeks I am 66 years old and I worry about increased anal pain with the prep and post procedure. My great seat cushion will not help with the prep. (A little humor always helps. :D ) I have had several kinds of cancer and I am being encouraged to have this procedure. I do take heavy duty pain meds because I have had another chronic pain for 13+ years. My last colonoscopy was 7 years ago before I developed anal PN. I was told that I am now a high risk patient. My procedure will be done in the hospital.

Thank you.
Nebbias01
Ray P.

Re: Has anyone had a colonoscopy with anal PN?

Post by Ray P. »

My doctor wants me to have one; I keep saying no. Let us know how it went.

Ray
nyt

Post by nyt »

I need to have one and worry about the same thing. I asked Dr. Howard what he recommended and he said to take Gabapentin for a few days before and after (I'm currently not taking it) to help keep the nervous system calmed down. My family doctor suggested I ask them for a little extra Versed and some propofol. I'll let you guys know what the GI doctor thinks when I see him.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
deBBieW

Post by deBBieW »

I'm in the same boat, I have scheduled one for early Nov. My last one was 3 years ago, pre - PN. I just asked my pelvic floor PT, and she said she didn't think I would have any real issues, but I typically don't have anal pain. She suggested doing more meditation, and breathing to try to stay calm during the prep day, but .... I will up the Gaba prior, good idea. It will be interesting to see if the GI doc has even heard of PN, I'll let you know how it goes.

Debbie
Vag pain, leg burning 3/11, SIJ inj 7/11, Pelvic PT, Chiro/acupuncture,
2-CT pudendal blks 11/2012, did help, less deep vag pain
Potter MRI 04/2012 - Scar tissue/thickening at SS/ST, scar in Alcock canal -bilateral,
Hibner 6/12 suggests Botox (didnt do), 8/12 more pelvic PT w/ dry needling
Gabapentin 1800 mg, Lyrica 200 mg, 5mg valium, vicodin as needed
Trying to get rid of central sensitization burning pain in my legs, Valium seems to be helping
Looking into more mindfulness options. . . . .
Grace

Post by Grace »

I had a colonoscopy shortly after my anal pain began--too naïve to be afraid. But shockingly, it didn't make me any worse. I started getting worse a few weeks later but I don't think it was related.
Anal/rectal pain began 12/12 | Pain advanced to entire pelvis by 2/13 |
PF PT 2/13 to 7/13 |Acupuncture 7/13 to present
Pain is CONSTANT, made worse by standing, walking, kneeling
UNBEARABLE with sitting |Cushions mock me
20+ years of fibromyalgia | Interested in not losing my marbles...
My goal: To find creative ways to live and work with PN, while pursuing wellness.
ezer

Post by ezer »

I also delayed my colonoscopy by several years because of PN. I finally did it 2 weeks ago, They found 5 polyps of which 2 were pre-cancerous. My doctor just said that it was pretty timely...
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
deBBieW

Post by deBBieW »

I had my colonoscopy a week ago, and did not have any additional pain before or after. I don't usually have anal pain just for the record. I have to go every 3 years due to family history. I'm so glad it's over. I was sure it would spike my general burning, but nothing different. The nurse that was assigned to me has a sister in the Chicago area that is a pelvic PT. We had a lot to talk about, and I peaked her interest in PN. It's always amazing when medical personal don't know what the pudendal nerve is, especially women. I was too goofy afterwards to really talk to the doctor about it. I did up my gabapentin a little for a week before too.
Debbie
Vag pain, leg burning 3/11, SIJ inj 7/11, Pelvic PT, Chiro/acupuncture,
2-CT pudendal blks 11/2012, did help, less deep vag pain
Potter MRI 04/2012 - Scar tissue/thickening at SS/ST, scar in Alcock canal -bilateral,
Hibner 6/12 suggests Botox (didnt do), 8/12 more pelvic PT w/ dry needling
Gabapentin 1800 mg, Lyrica 200 mg, 5mg valium, vicodin as needed
Trying to get rid of central sensitization burning pain in my legs, Valium seems to be helping
Looking into more mindfulness options. . . . .
bikelover

Post by bikelover »

Hi Ezer, I'm curious, will things like polyps show up on MRI's?
ezer

Post by ezer »

Bikelover, on the consent sheet I signed beforehand, it states that alternative methods to detect polyps may be used such as X-rays. You may want to ask your doctor.
But honestly, the colonoscopy was painless.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
river133

Post by river133 »

I had one a couple of months ago, every thing went fine,except when they administered the versaid ? I didn't get go under because of the opiads I am on. No more increased pain .go for it. ;)
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”