Hibner Surgery... ?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
desperate

Hibner Surgery... ?

Post by desperate »

Called Hibner's office and was told he is no longer accepting male patients. Not sure if this is true 100% but that is just what i was told when i called. Just an FYI for the males.
Pudendal pain started in Feb 2014. Potter MRI- useless findings (dont waste your money), tried pelvic floor pt, ART, Trigenics, Osteopathic treatment, fascial work, Massage, Shockwave, world renown chiros, osteopaths and PTs, stretching bla bla. Nothing helped but shockwave (which was short lived) and one world renown chiro that is a douchebag because he cant treat me again. All in all, God is the only one who can lead your path.
janetm2

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Post by janetm2 »

Desperate thanks for clarifying this, I had thought he was seeing men. Sorry I passed on the wrong info.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
RJR

Post by RJR »

Correct...Hibner sent a letter to all his male patients explaining rationale...it is not specific to PNE or Hibner...rather a gyn medical board policy change about gyns treating men - impacts a MD's board certification. Very unfortunate impact to those seeking help.

Best,
Bob
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Wow. I thought this was reversed a while back.

Then the options for men are either out of the U.S. or the nerurosurgeons like Filler.
Last edited by stephanies on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Wait, what about that New York Times story about the guy who sued and the decision by the gyn board was reversed? Does anyone remember where that was posted?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Here it is. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/healt ... grady&_r=0

Here's the news release on the ABOG website:

http://www.abog.org/news.asp

Sounds like they are not prohibiting OBgyn's from treating men but they are strongly recommending they treat a majority of women and they also made this statement:

ABOG cautions that this new definition and certification policies are not an endorsement for board-certified Diplomates to practice in areas outside of their specialty stating: "The American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology does not and cannot attest to the knowledge, judgment, skills, and qualifications of Diplomates related to practice outside of the scope of the specialty of Obstetrics and Gynecology."

I guess I can't blame Dr. Hibner for taking this seriously. Maybe the liability is too high? All I can say is it's very sad for guys. :(

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

And I can understand where a OBGYN that has 25-30% male patients it a BIG red flag to those who are not aware of PN.

Dr. Conway is still a practicing OBGYN, and I this may be why he still has traditional patients.

If this is the case we need ALLOT more good surgeons in the US for male PN patients or neurosurgeons need to get involved.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Violet,
thanks for posting and noting the issue listed with the "reversal", I was not quite sure what to say. I agree with your and blightcp's sentiments. What ever happened with the petition that started for PN/PNE that was to be sent to universities? Not sure if we got enough signatures or no one has had time to send it out? Do you think it might help us get some movement towards getting those doctors needed for men and women as well? Is this something the board might consider?
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
desperate

Post by desperate »

So who is it that men should see.

If Bautrant does the TIR approach - which is less successful (if at all) for men; so I've heard

Robert is retiring
Antolack is retiring

WTF
Pudendal pain started in Feb 2014. Potter MRI- useless findings (dont waste your money), tried pelvic floor pt, ART, Trigenics, Osteopathic treatment, fascial work, Massage, Shockwave, world renown chiros, osteopaths and PTs, stretching bla bla. Nothing helped but shockwave (which was short lived) and one world renown chiro that is a douchebag because he cant treat me again. All in all, God is the only one who can lead your path.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I don't know what I would do if I were a male in the US thinking of surgery right now. It's a crying shame really because in addition to RJR I know of another male who had surgery from Hibner who is doing great now.

Dellon? Aszmann in Austria?

Bautrant actually can do the TG approach. He used to but I have no idea if he would consider it now. I don't know if he could do a modified approach like HIbner or Conway.

I think there is an orthopedic surgeon in Australia doing TG surgery now. Maybe Catherine could confirm this. Don't know if he does a modified approach.

I have my doubts that we are going to get anywhere with the ABOG because my guess is that they are concerned about liability. It is completely understandable that they would not want to give the OK for physicians to treat males when they have been trained to treat females. But maybe we could voice our concerns to the International Pelvic Pain Society and see what their thoughts are?

Violet
Last edited by Violet M on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SURGERY”