Weight lifting

This is where we will make important announcements, accept offers of helpful tips from members, and a place for questions and discussion regarding website and forum operations and procedures.
Our Code of Conduct is also viewable here.
ChrisUK

Weight lifting

Post by ChrisUK »

Hi, haven't been on here for long while but hoping to get some help. Long term pudendal neuralgia/pelvic floor trigger points sufferer which i now manage by daily pain med. been around 5 years now. around 2 years ago I started using weights and for first year was fine, it started giving me some focus and purpose to my pain ridden life. But now each time I go to gym my anal pain worsens. I've read about the internal pressure thing & how lifting weights puts pressure on pelvic floor but I really dont want to stop, does anyone know of any pelvic floor friendly lifting exercises I can do, cardio workout is fine but want to do upper body stuff. Also notice the next day after lifting heavy weights as well as pain there is a hard area inside of cheek near anal area. Not coming out of anus or pile but very painful to touch. It feels almost under the skin. Sorry to be so graphic but just wondered what this can be, it only lasts few days then pain eases a little. Thank you. Chris
Violet M

Re: Weight lifting

Post by Violet M »

Chris, are you saying the upper body weightlifting is causing problems or are you doing lower body too? Maybe you will have to lighten up the weights so you aren't putting so much stress on the pelvic floor. I can do light upper body weights and some core strengthening but if I do lower body/leg weights I get into problems. All I can tell you is that before PNE sursgery I had mild pain but I kept lifting weights not realizing that was the cause of the pain until finally I got to the place I developed full-blown PNE with severe pain. So I guess you know what my advice would be. ;) But I do realize everyone is different.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
ChrisUK

Post by ChrisUK »

Thanks violet, I appreciate your thoughts & sharing your experience. I just can't understand why it was ok for 12 months but maybe I started doing too much. Only a little light upper body straining causes worsening of pain. Cardio workouts/cross trainer work is fine so guess will have to cut out altogether or stick to cardio. In your opinion is cardio safe for pn sufferers and do you ever envisage lifting heavy weights again. Am curious as to your weights being trigger, when you stopped did your pain improve? Regards chris
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Chris, I think it depends on the person and the underlying pathology.

I'm very sure that weighlifting is what tiggered PNE for me. The pain started about 2 months after I began the Body for Life weightlifting program. The damage to ligaments (chronic ligament strain) was consistent with weightlifting. Eventually I did quit weightlifting but it didn't help because by then I had major PNE with hardened sclerosed ligaments impinging on the nerve. Lying around for 8 months didn't show any improvement. I don't think I will ever be able to lift heavy weights again because my ligaments are shot and they aren't going to get any younger.

Since my ligaments are bad, it's hard for me to find cardio training exercises that don't jar the pelvis too much. I can walk, do ab exercises and light upper body weights but hopping/jumping/jogging/heavy lifting, flares things up. Thankfully, since PNE surgery I can get the flare-ups to calm down just by going back to being careful.

If your ligaments are fine but you have pelvic floor tension, maybe some myofascial release will set things right. But if you have pelvic instability and aging ligaments then I think it becomes a bit more complicated. If the ligaments are impinging on the nerves as mine were, then it becomes even more complicated.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “ANNOUNCEMENTS & COMMUNITY”