Writing a letter to a doctor

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Missingmylife42

Writing a letter to a doctor

Post by Missingmylife42 »

If a doctor hurt you and did a procedure on you that if he thought it throgh he shouldnt have would you write a letter and tell him what is happening to you now and all the pain you are suffering now and that he possibly destroyed your life due to his mistakes. :,(
Karyn

Re: Writing a letter to a doctor

Post by Karyn »

If it were me, I would've called him immediately at the onset of the symptoms. I'm not quite sure how credible he's going to find you, reporting these symptoms 6 months later. While what happened to you is extremely unfortunate, you have to accept some responsibility for it, too. Please try to contact his office, so you may personally speak with him.
Best wishes and warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Missingmylife42

i did call him after, he said im so sorry keep the faith, can i call you
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

OMG! Sounds like it's time for a follow up call! "Keep the faith" is NOT an acceptable answer!
I get outta work at 3:30 ...
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Missingmylife42

i am scared to talk to him
sgrandy

Post by sgrandy »

The problem is that anyone who has ANY medical procedure done is taking at least some sort of risk and there are definitely risks to nerve blocks including causing flares, new symptoms or making someone permanently worse. Has any doctor ever explained to you why the other 3 nerves blocks you had caused no numbing in the area served by the pudendal nerve? If I were you, I would wait and consult with Dr. Hibner....I would not bother calling Dr. A back about this issue if his response was "keep the faith". You need to see someone who is going to be empathic and who has other modalities to try other than just nerve blocks and Dr. Hibner seems to be that person. It seems that he offers various modalities and failing those, surgery if you end up requiring it. Just remember that this is NOT a hopeless situation.
Missingmylife42

Thank You
sgrandy

Post by sgrandy »

It would be helpful if you could answer some questions about your background as well. I asked above...did any of the doctors given you an explanation as to *why* your other 3 blocks had no effect?
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

I would only send a letter if it were reviewed by an attorney 1st. If a Doctor causes actual harm through actions that are determined by the courts to be other than what any reasonable practitioner would do, you have a right to civil compensation. If you say the wrong thing in such a letter, it can be used agianst you by the defense. So if you really feel a Doctor destroyed your life, you should request your medical records through usual channels without raising any kind of alarm, and take them to an attorney. No more communications until you have done so.
"Keep the faith"...is he a faith healer :lol:
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

i too had a big flare for 2-4 months from my injections with dr. Antolak (ct guided vs gluteal), because he pokes and prods directly on your nerve in your glutes trying to find the most painful spot during the ct guided injection. I still have urinary issues that I didn't have before.

And I've had pudendal nerve blocks pre and post antolak that didn't flare me ever. (Renney - ct guided in 05, Filler- ct guided in 06, Noblett/Sarton - finger guided in 06,08,09, & Hibner finger guided in 2010. There's no damage I've had from finger guided vaginal poking and prodding... this is different... fingers finding pain spots trans vaginally is different than what Antolak did which was move the needle around in my glute directly on the nerve to find the pain spots.

I think Dr. Antolak's poking and prodding (which none of the other docs did) is why the blocks flare. I don't recommend this procedure of his to anyone, although I have no knowledge of how his other procedures fare for people, as I've never tried them.

And this experience with Dr. Antolak makes me hesitant actually to trust one part of Dr. Hibner's surgery, the fact that he strips the nerve from top to bottom of surrounding tissue, and handles it to place anti-scarring nerve wrap on it. Dr. Bautrant told me that he tries to not even touch the nerve, as it will flare it... so he releases the nerve a millimeter or so from the nerve, and only the part that is visibly trapped. Well, as you can see, I am still not healed... and I may be wrong with my hesitations about Dr. Hibner's surgery... as obviously Dr. Bautrant's did not work for me... so I look forward to watching how people fare post surgery with Dr. Hibner... as perhaps the aggravation of handling the nerve to wrap it in anti-scarring wrap is an unfortunate necessity necessary to heal the nerve from future scarring.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”