Hemorrhoids and PN

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Lernica

Hemorrhoids and PN

Post by Lernica »

Are PNers more susceptible to hemorrhoids, i.e. bright red bloody stools (in the absence of any pathology -- e.g. cancer, crohn's etc.)?

Thanks.

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
pomegranate

Re: Hemorrhoids and PN

Post by pomegranate »

I wish I knew. But I have fought a battle against hemorrhoids for much of my life, and just recently started experiencing more rectal bleeding and anal fissures with them. I also have IBS, and much of my IBS as a teen was on the constipation side.

My PT's and other PT's say it's due to the spasmed muscles and connective tissue restrictions. My MD says it's because of a dysfunctional nerve. Regardless, my pelvis is just wonky. :lol:

I know it's common for us PNers to have one extreme or the other in regards to BM's, and I've seen talk of hemi's and bleeding on the forums before.

Lauren
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Thanks, Lauren. It is reassuring to know that someone else is experiencing the same problem. My gyno and his general surgeon also have no answers despite several colonoscopies and sigmoidoscopies I have had over the years. Recently I discovered a blood clot on the toilet paper --- like something that would come with a menstrual period -- that concerned me. Have you ever seen that in the toilet bowl? (TMI -- too much information -- for some people, I fear. :) )

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hi Lemica,

I had some thoughts on your post. Sometimes constipation can cause hemheroids and constipation can also cause some PN damage, from doing all that pushing. So, I do think they can be related.

Take care,
Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Oh, Lernica - I'm so sorry about the clot! That must've been scary! My last colonoscopy noted "severe sigmoid spasm" and I also get the hemmies and bright red rectal bleeding. Luckily, I don't have constipation issues but I do have motility issues. It's very difficult for me to move stool and very painful if I have to push more than gently. :(
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Thanks, people. I love this forum. Where else could we shamelessly talk about "hemis" and "BMs" and stools? :) :)

I am often constipated although I eat lots of fiber and drink lots of fluids. But the constipation is just at the beginning of a BM, and then the stools are nice and soft. When the BM starts, I sometimes get the same burning "broken glass" pain in my rectum that others on this forum have described. Also, the urge to have a BM is very weak (until the last moment).

Have you seen the birthday card for adults that has a picture on the front of a contented baby in diapers holding a baby bottle? Inside it says (something like) "A bottle, a poop and a nap -- Hope you have a perfect day". I laugh every time I think about it because it strikes pretty close to home.

Lernica
Last edited by Lernica on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

Yikes, Lernica. Can't say I've ever experienced that. The bleeding I've had is just normal bleeding that one would expect from hemis and mild fissures. Sorry.
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

Hemmys have been a big issue for me and the PNE. I just try to keep stools softer then they would normally be. Besides a veg. diet and lots of water. I will take Swiss Kriss, Senna, and Magnesium Citrate. I do different combination's of those 3 things.
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

I forgot to mention I can't take any meds. that have side effects of constipation.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Ray!
What's Swiss Kriss???
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”