Back of thighs hurting

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Missingmylife42

Back of thighs hurting

Post by Missingmylife42 »

Hi the back of my middle thighs are hurting so bad like cramping up tight And right under the butt cheeks the feeling goes down to my feet. I can't walk it wakes me up in the middle night. And also feeling like there is a tens unit implanted in my butt check. Both sides hurt even though MRI said more entrapped on left. It hurts so bad to move my legs. Sometimes I will also get a vibration in my foot. Also both sides startingvto tingle. But trying to walk is very painful. I stopped the opana. Blah. Just taking the diaulid to take edge off and ice and upped lyrica. Does any if this happen to anyone.
A's Mommy

Re: Back of thighs hurting

Post by A's Mommy »

Yesterday I was slowly walking and had neuralgia (burning/tingling) down the backs of both legs. I believe it's because some muscle groups are just so weak that they are screwed up in their own right (at least for me). It was frustrating. As I stand here typing this to you, my inner left thigh has neuralgia. What did you up your Lyrica to? I am thinking of that. Narcotics do nothing... and Opanna is extremely strong and will just make you high, but if it helps for you, then keep on it. I just try to avoid everything that will be constipating as my Alcock's canal is tight already and doesn't need another flare (read: will I ever have sex again????)

Before my surgery, I would get horrible tingling in my buttocks (both sides). I haven't experienced too much of that lately, but you know, now everything is changed since I had my left side done. I explained it to my husband like this yesterday : "It's like my nerve on my left is a raw would on your skin. When you would pour water or even air over that wound, it would burn. It feels exposed. My right side still has the pinching, cramping, pain and deep ache and still causes neuralgia into the vulva, but it's not EXPOSED." He said this makes sense as my right side is still entrapped and left has been freed. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Anyone else who is recently post-op, I'd appreciate your comments on my above thoughts, too.

AM

PS: You know who to lean on. So do I. We must do that in our darkest hours. It is tough... I know.
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi there Missingmylife42,
Sounds like sciatica, which may be due to back problem (lumber spine) but because of your PN/pelvic history the piriformis muscle may be involved now too causing irritation or entrapment of the sciatic nerve. I think Charlie has also mentioned that the obturator internus muscle could be the culprit. Must admit that I don't know too much about that one.
I remember Violet said that her PN caused piriformis syndrome (non disc sciatica or deep gluteal syndrome ) Mine is the other way around, at least I noticed the sciatic/buttock pain before the PN.
Google and You Tube piriformis syndrome and then look at piriformis stretches.
Hopefully you can identify, match your symptoms and do a few stretches which may help. A lot of people get fantastic relief from stretches alone but there are a lot of other conservative treatments too.
I have the same back of thigh (vice like grip) and sole of foot pain (especially my heels) It is so difficult dealing with both PN and PS because standing up and walking are painful too. I only need to walk about 3 steps for my feet to tingle/burn, in my case my sciatic nerve runs through the muscle (it's mostly underneath). I have read that the action is like the 'nerve see sawing across the muscle with every step'. I think thats a bit OTT but gives the idea . . . .like PN the 'discomfort' builds throughout the day.
Keeping everything crossed that the stretches help you.
Take care
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hi the back of my middle thighs are hurting so bad like cramping up tight And right under the butt cheeks the feeling goes down to my feet. I can't walk it wakes me up in the middle night. And also feeling like there is a tens unit implanted in my butt check. Both sides hurt even though MRI said more entrapped on left. It hurts so bad to move my legs. Sometimes I will also get a vibration in my foot. Also both sides startingvto tingle. But trying to walk is very painful. I stopped the opana. Blah. Just taking the diaulid to take edge off and ice and upped lyrica. Does any if this happen to anyone.Missingmylife42
Hi There

Its normal to feel the sensations which spread through other areas apart from the Pudendal Nerve Regions, its called nerve crosstalk and can spread to many areas. Those tens feelings are also familiar to most of us here....there is no need to panic aobut this even though it is not nice at all. The main thing is to keep on moving even though it hurts but restrict things like bending and of course sitting as much as possible.
In my feet when I have bad nerve sensations its more in the ankle region for me that i feel the TENS sensations and intense itching which is very irritating.
Even though I have a Neurostimulator implanted it doesnt distract from these over sensitive nerve signals....!!!

Hang in there please
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Missingmylife42 wrote:Hi the back of my middle thighs are hurting so bad like cramping up tight And right under the butt cheeks the feeling goes down to my feet. I can't walk it wakes me up in the middle night.
Yes I get this as well. It is a pretty horrible condition to have. I know a few people that also have leg pain with this so I don't think you are unusual in having this.

It may caused by the obturater internus or periformis muscle being in spasm and compressing the nerve. There is also the possibility of obturater nerve entrapment which I have read can sometimes be mistaken for PNE. I am no expert but these are things you could perhaps look into.

You also have Amanda's explanation which I agree with and could also more than likely be happening.
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”