sleeping

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Missingmylife42

sleeping

Post by Missingmylife42 »

How do you all sleep I really can't get comfortable no matter how I try. It hurts everywhere I try This relax take deep breaths listen to music Dan holds me. How do u all
MsRivers

Re: sleeping

Post by MsRivers »

I have resorted to stacking pillows below my body to suspend my tush above my matress while sleeping. This is the only way I can get a good nights rest. . Basically I am sleeping on a stack of pillows (head to foot) with the exception of my tush. Firmer pillows are preferred (near lower back and tush becasue they hold their shape and I don't end up with my butt on the mattress when I wake up. I like softer pillows near my head shoulders becasue I feel less stiff in the morning.

Prior to coming up with this solution, my shoulders were taking a beating because they supported me while sleeping on my sides, especially the non-painful side. This method of sleeping has really, really enabled me get some much needed sleep. You'll have to make adjustments to your stack of pillows so you're comfortable.

Remember to leave a gap large enough for your tush to rest in while sleeping. If your tush touches the mattress, you're in danger of putting pressure on the nerve. I also place pillows on both sides of my thighs (at the same height.) It feels good to lay there with my legs open and, resting on the side pillows as apposed to being stretched straight out. I often play a relaxation cd while resting in this position. I hope this helps ya'll PNers get some rest.

Hugs,
Ms. Rivers
PN pain post laproscopic vaginal hysterectomy. MRN diagnosed me with piriformis, sciatica, and pudendal syndromes.
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

I mostly sleep on my side. I have problems with my left shoulder joint, so I can only sleep on my right side. Causes a lot of pain to try to lay in the same position for that long. When that happens, I resort to sleeping on my back.

I use a long, shapeable body pillow. Mine has a natural filling called kapok fiber. It's awesome and I don't know what I'd do without it. Here's the link: http://www.beanproducts.com/mm5/merchan ... gory_Code=

Emily B.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Emily, when I was pregnant I came across these being advertised as a "boyfriend pillow", saying they were really great for sleeping comfortably when pregnant. I just thought it was so funny to think of a married pregnant lady using a boyfriend pillow. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

The way I manage is to sleep on my front, ball my fist and place it at the inside of my hip bone. I then bend the opposite leg up in a semi frog like position. Sexy I know ! ! My fist seems to bridge my pelvis giving extra support. I have tried pillows but I can't get the right size, right support ratio.
Of course my hand and then arm go to sleep too . . . . but I swap sides and so on. I'm the one with piriformis and PN btw.
Off to try it now :)
Goodnight all
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

The only way I could sleep for years was to lay pillows the length of my body with extra ones on my right side to stop me lying on that side, of course I took my ice bottles with me and also a hot water bottle on my right hip to ease the pain there.
Nowadays I have invested in a tempur memory foam bed and matress so its like floating on air, I still use my ice of course...I dont sleep properly ever but its a lot more comfortable.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
MsRivers

Post by MsRivers »

I'm also at the point where I need to check into a temperpedic mattress topper. I'll buy one, perhaps cut it in half and stack them to get extra support. My shoulders and wrists are also taking a beating from supporting my hefty self. I've gained 25 pounds during this ordeal.
PN pain post laproscopic vaginal hysterectomy. MRN diagnosed me with piriformis, sciatica, and pudendal syndromes.
MsRivers

Post by MsRivers »

Amanda,

I noticed your still in pain after your TG in France. Did your pain level decrease since your surgery in France?
Quilter 2

Post by Quilter 2 »

Missing;
I can only lay on my belly. When the burning is really bad, I stuff the undies with ice packs. I also bought a VERY firm mattress. I don't think my husband cares much for it, but he's adjusting. I lay on a tempurpeic foam mattress on the living room floor to watch TV. My husband cut it in half, so the other half goes in the car for long rides to PT or Dr. Conway. He's about 4 hours from us so the mattress helps out a lot. Another thought, if you do buy a new mattress, try out one of those things that can be adjusted on each side. I wish that's what I bought, but to late now to invest another 2 grand.
Good wishes;
Doreen
Five pudendal nerve infiltrations with good results.
Sixth Injection left me with more burning, more pain, pain in buttocks.
Botox shot didn't notice any difference
Physical Therapy - Aquatic and Myofascial
External and Internal Manual Therapy on the obturator muscle.
3T MRI with Dr. Potter
2nd opinion with Dr. Hibner in Phoenix
Loretta Robertson PT Phoenix
Decompression surgery Nov. 1, 2011
Afton

Post by Afton »

I don't sleep much and full time as recommended by the physician's due to the work routine
I have.... I only have the 3 to 4 hour sleep and that results in dizziness and laziness on my body
in the day time but for a short time period.....

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”