Bruising after TG Surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Karyn

Bruising after TG Surgery

Post by Karyn »

Hi,
I'm not looking for commentary about the article - we can discuss that in another thread, if anyone is interested. I AM looking for commentary about the bruising of this particular, butt, though. :shock: So, TG patients - did your butt look like this after surgery? I'm specifically talking about the black and white photo:
http://www.chronicprostatitis.com/pne.html
Looking forward to your feedback!
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Amanda

Re: Bruising after TG Surgery

Post by Amanda »

Karyn

I had some bruising after TG surgery but only on one side which subsided very quickly.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Nothing like that. My incision had the steri-strips on it, that much is true. I did have bruising, but it was only in one area--the outer cheek area (for lack of a better descriptor). It would be the area you would reach down with your own hand on that side and be able to grasp. The bruising didn't bloom until more than a day after surgery. It was not nearly so dark as what is shown in that photo. It was dark purple but soon went to green and yellow (lovely). It was tender as any deep bruise would be, but I iced it a lot the first couple of days if it was bothering me. It faded soon.

But no, I had none of the lower back bruising like this photo shows, and nothing as dark as what they're reporting. Hope this helps.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Celeste wrote:But no, I had none of the lower back bruising like this photo shows, and nothing as dark as what they're reporting. Hope this helps.
Yes, it does help! Thank you! I would think that bruising would be normal after any type of surgery. I was just wondering about the extent of the bruising. The black and white photo seemed a little drastic to me.
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Amanda,
I am aware that you have suffered a lot.If I am remmeber correctly,you never had sitting Pain but only Pain related to Urinary symptoms and bowels isues.Please correct me if I am wrong.And what was the reason that Professor Robert gave you for the failure of his surgery.Is it because that you never had PNE or your nerves were too much damaged and could not be regenerated.

Regards,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Karyn,
These are the scars that you have to live with the rest of your life if you have TG or even modified TG approach. :cry:

Regards,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

AliPasha1 wrote:These are the scars that you have to live with the rest of your life if you have TG or even modified TG approach.
Hi Ali! Yes, I'm aware of the scars. I have no aspirations to become a butt model :D , so I'm OK with the scars. I was just wondering if the bruising was as dramatic as pictured.
AliPasha1 wrote:And what was the reason that Professor Robert gave you for the failure of his surgery.Is it because that you never had PNE or your nerves were too much damaged and could not be regenerated.
I was wondering the same thing, Amanda. I re-read your PNE story, looking for some tell-tale sign to jump out at me, but it didn't happen. I also noticed you had surgery fairly quickly after the onset of your pain. I'm so very sorry things didn't turn out better for you. It is my sincere hope that something will help to minimize your pain.
Warmest regards,
Karyn
ezer

Post by ezer »

Frankly, who cares about visible scaring. It is part of who we are.
The picture on chronicprostatitis is just there to scare you as the website is dead against PNE surgery.
Look at the stunning Indian model Padma Lakshmi or the talented English actress Amanda Redman. They have both very visible scars on their arms due to childhood accidents. It has never prevented them from having very successful careers.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

TG Scars are not to be ashamed about, in fact many PNE gals that I know refer to each other as the Zipper Gals!

To answer your questions Karyn and Ali - without taking away from the subject matter of this thread.
I have always had extreme sitting pain and still do, cushions are a way of life for me and avoidance of sitting is paramount to avoid flare ups.
When i had my TG surgery with Prof Robert in Sept 2004 it was noticed that the nerve was totally damaged and frayed; the ultimate conclusion was that as a result of my hysterectomy there was serious injury to the nerve with possible suture invasion. I was warned that the chances of regeneration were very slim given the symptoms I had and the physical condition the nerve was in at the time. I was almost totally incontinent and all brances of the nerve were entrapped. incontinence is still a major issue to me particularly after any period of sitting.
The main reason why I was deemed a failed surgical case by Prof Robert was because of my spreading CRPS, Ongoing bladder issues and resounding crosstalk of many nerves. Bearing in mind that at the same time as my TG surgery I also had other nerves decompressed to try to alleviate my Meralgia Paresthetica symptoms. This was not a success at all.
I remain and have always been the Ice Queen on these forums and that is the best help to me 24/7.
As you both know my history goes back a long way, my Hysterectomy was in March 2003 and TG surgery in Sept 2004 so quite a while in between and far too many interventions medically to assess why I had such pain, having spend weeks in hospital in Ireland and France trying out many different methods.

Regretfully my full story was "lost" in the loss of the old site however most of the surgical details are remaining on TIPNA.
I do however have a word document which highlights most of the details which I will try to post onto here so that people can follow the full story.

I hope that this helps.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
GraceUnderFire

Post by GraceUnderFire »

Well, thank you for crushing my dreams and aspirations to be a butt model. The stretch marks after 4 giant children killed my bikini modeling days and now this. Whatever shall I do? Wonder if there is a market for ankle modeling ? :P

Please forgive my very skewed sense of humor. It is how I try to cope with this nightmare. My husband has promised me that I can get a tatoo to cover up my butt scars - I DONT THINK SO! I never want to do anything that even remotely hurts any where near my tush again!!

Then again ... perhaps we come up with a PNE tatoo design and we make "butt calendars" to raise funds to promote PN awareness. OMG - I have to get back to work - way, way, way too much time on my hands :(

On the serious side, I am very glad to know of this bruising as I had not been aware of it previously. Knowing before surgery will prevent me from freaking out after, for which my husband thanks you very much.

So thankyou for sharing this information.

Blessings (and hopefully a chuckle or 2),
Grace
Woke screaming from ab hyst 6/08
Diagnosed w/PN, ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neuralgias 1/09
3 PN blocks w/Dr Quesada
Rt side TIR, ilioinguinal neurectomy & vestibulectomy 5/09 Dr Conway
Left side TIR 2/10 Dr Conway
Potter MRI 9/10 and consultation w/Loretta & Dr Hibner 12/10
Bilateral ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, genitofemoral release w/Dr. Hashemi Aug 2011 left & Sept rt
Bilateral TG surgery w/Dr. Conway will be in January 2012

Return to “SURGERY”