Botox and Prolaspe

Botox options, which Doctors use this form of treatment and techniques offered.
jaxi123

Botox and Prolaspe

Post by jaxi123 »

Does anyone think Botox can cause vaginal and rectal Prolaspe?
Patty

Re: Botox and Prolaspe

Post by Patty »

Jax I have several rounds of botox - 2 into my pelvic floor & 1 via rectum. No prolapse at all. No help for pain either.
AuntNetty

Post by AuntNetty »

Jaxi and Patty,
What!!! Well, I already have cytocele, rectocele repaired many years ago with hysterectomy. Recent Hibner MRI shows i have cystocele, rectocele, and now peritoneocele too. Having it fixed years ago is what "supposedly" led to this pudendal pain. Just got done posting a note to Violet saying i am not reading anymore on botox, but here i am. Insurance won't cover my several botox treatments included in my surgical plan on Apr 15th. Will anyone who had good success with botox please answer??? I hope we all get better...Good Luck. Should just keep my mouth (fingers) shut. I have no medical advise that would be helpful...Sorry.
Aunt Netty
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Botox could cause a relaxing of the pelvic floor muscles. Whether or not that leads to prolapse would depend on whether your prolapses are due to muscle weakness or to a genetic collagen deficiency causing you to have lax ligaments. There are ligaments that help to support and hold up the pelvic floor. Collagen deficiencies causing laxness in the ligaments has been documented in the literature to cause prolapses of the pelvic organs. It's been awhile since I read the article but my doctor concluded (and I agreed) that ligaments were the problem in my case. I can do 300 kegals a day and have strong muscles but it makes no difference in the prolapse because ligaments are the problem, not muscles. Botox would not affect the ligaments. Botox works on muscles. Ligament problems are what also led to my pelvic instability resulting in PNE.

Awhile back we had a medical practitioner who used to post on the PN forums and she tried having Botox injected into her OI muscles. Over time the muscles atrophied. So, I think the answer to your question, is that over time with many treatments of Botox, the muscles could atrophy. But if Botox eases your pain temporarily and allows the nerves to heal, it might be helpful to try it and follow your doctor's recommendations on how often to get it.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Sicknmith

Post by Sicknmith »

Hi Violet and all, I've been a fly on the wall here for a while. I've been doing diagnostic nerve blocks with Dr. Hashemi in DC after sports hernia and fai surgery where I developed all of the horrifying PNE symptoms. PGAD, rectal prolapse among others, anal spasms, tightened ligament in pelvic floor. I'm am on the path for getting Botox injection at my next appointment in approximately 1 month. Thought I waould come on here to read up on the risks of Botox. Can you help steer me into better understanding what concerns I should have when proceeding with Botox? Thank you so much - Nick
Patty

Post by Patty »

The main thing to understand is that the Botox injection hurt like hell. The first round I was awake. Worse pain I have ever exoerienced. The second round I was put under anesthesia but upon awakening had horrifying rectal pain. Thank god my doc offered a few days of narcotics to help. Did nothing to help my pain though. Complete waste of time and money.
jaxi123

Post by jaxi123 »

I had several rounds of Botox and got no relief
Very disgusted
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

One of the reasons I opted not to try Botox is because my urogyn said it only gives temporary relief. But if you have severe symptoms of PGAD I think a few months of relief would be huge in helping you cope. Although I have known of several people over the years who had bad side effects from Botox, most people don't have a permanent problem with it. So you have to weight the risks vs. the possible benefits which is always a difficult thing to do.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “BOTOX”