Severing ligaments -- does it matter?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Violet M

Severing ligaments -- does it matter?

Post by Violet M »

Charlie wrote:.... regarding the ligaments again I am not disputing the reports of people who claim to have been made worse from having their ligaments operated on and I sympathize with them. However what I am still yet to hear is a mechanical explanation of why cutting the ligaments would cause pelvic instability. I say that in a non confrontational manner. I too have had PT's tell me it would cause pelvic instability but when I have enquired further they can never give me a solid, logical, mechanical explanation of why it would do this.
Hey Charlie,

I took your quote from another thread so we could have an intense :lol: discussion about it in a new thread.

I can't give you a mechanical explanation but I studied this subject extensively before I decided on surgery and I came to the conclusion that the sacrotuberous (ST) ligament could be important in pelvic stability. I can't prove it but neither can anyone prove that the ST ligament is not important so I opted to play it safe. I already had SI/stability problems before surgery so maybe I was a little more worried about this than some PNE'ers are.

The problem for PNE patients is you've got some ligaments compressing the nerve and in order to relieve the compression the ligaments may have to be severed. So you may have to go with the lesser of two evils -- or opt for one of the surgery approaches that tries to save or replace the ligament.

Vleeming, Lee, and Tigney seem to be the experts on this subject. Here is a collection of articles/links that may help to explain the biomechanics of the pelvis and why the ST ligament might be important to stability.

http://thelowback.com/how.htm
diagnosticToolsPelvis.doc
(192 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Eur Spine J. 1993 Oct;2(3):140-4.
A functional-anatomical approach to the spine-pelvis mechanism: interaction between the biceps femoris muscle and the sacrotuberous ligament.
van Wingerden JP, Vleeming A, Snijders CJ, Stoeckart R.
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Abstract
Summary. Sacroiliac joint dysfunction is often overlooked as a possible cause of low back pain. This is due to the use of reductionistic anatomical models. From a kinematic point of view, topographic anatomical models are generally inadequate since they categorize pelvis, lower vertebral column and legs as distinct entities. This functional-anatomical study focuses on the question whether anatomical connections between the biceps femoris muscle and the sacrotuberous ligament are kinematically useful. Forces applied to the tendon of the biceps femoris muscle, simulating biceps femoris muscle force, were shown to influence sacrotuberous ligament tension. Since sacrotuberous ligament tension influences sacroiliac joint kinematics, hamstring training could influence the sacroiliac joint and thus low back kinematics. The clinical implications with respect to 'short' hamstrings, pelvic instability and walking are discussed.
PMID: 20058466 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8852309
Joint Bone Spine. 2006 Jan;73(1):17-23.

Provocative sacroiliac joint maneuvers and sacroiliac joint block are unreliable for diagnosing sacroiliac joint pain.
Berthelot JM, Labat JJ, Le Goff B, Gouin F, Maugars Y.
Rheumatology Department and Orthopedics Department, Osteoarticular Pole, Hôtel Dieu Hospital, Nantes Teaching Hospitals, France. jeanmarie.berthelot@chu-nantes.fr
Comment in:
• Joint Bone Spine. 2007 May;74(3):306-7; author reply 307-8.
Abstract
Mapping studies of pain elicited by injections into the sacroiliac joints (SIJs) suggest that sacroiliac joint syndrome (SIJS) may manifest as low back pain, sciatica, or trochanteric pain. Neither patient-reported symptoms nor provocative SIJ maneuvers are sensitive or specific for SIJS when SIJ block is used as the diagnostic gold standard. This has led to increasing diagnostic use of SIJ block, a procedure in which an anesthetic is injected into the joint under arthrographic guidance. However, several arguments cast doubt on the validity of SIJ block as a diagnostic gold standard. Thus, the effects of two consecutive blocks are identical in only 60% of cases, and the anesthetic diffuses out of the joint in 61% of cases, often coming into contact with the sheaths of the adjacent nerve trunks or roots, including the lumbosacral trunk (which may contribute to pain in the groin or thigh) and the L5 and S1 nerve roots. These data partly explain the limited specificity of SIJ block for the diagnosis of SIJS and the discordance between the pain elicited by the arthrography injection and the response to the block. The limitations of provocative maneuvers and SIJ blocks may stem in part from a contribution of extraarticular ligaments to the genesis of pain believed to originate within the SIJs. These ligaments include the expansion of the iliolumbar ligaments, the dorsal and ventral sacroiliac ligaments, the sacrospinous ligaments, and the sacrotuberous ligaments (sacroiliac joint lato-sensu). They play a role in locking or in allowing motion of the SIJs. Glucocorticoids may diffuse better than anesthetics within these ligaments. Furthermore, joint fusion may result in ligament unloading.
PMID: 16461204 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1996 Mar 1;21(5):556-62.
The function of the long dorsal sacroiliac ligament: its implication for understanding low back pain.
Vleeming A, Pool-Goudzwaard AL, Hammudoghlu D, Stoeckart R, Snijders CJ, Mens JM.
Department of Anatomy, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Abstract
STUDY DESIGN: In embalmed human bodies the tension of the long dorsal sacroiliac ligament was measured during incremental loading of anatomical structures that are biomechanically relevant.
OBJECTIVES: To assess the function of the long dorsal sacroiliac ligament.
SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: In many patients with aspecific low back pain or peripartum pelvic pain, pain is experienced in the region in which the long dorsal sacroiliac ligament is located. It is not well known that the ligament can be easily palpated in the area directly caudal to the posterior superior iliac spine. Data on the functional and clinical importance of this ligament are lacking.
METHODS: A dissection study was performed on the sacral and lumbar regions. The tension of the long dorsal sacroiliac ligament (n = 12) was tested under loading. Tension was measured with a buckle transducer. Several structures, including the erector spinae muscle, the posterior layer of the thoracolumbar fascia, the sarcotuberous ligament, and the sacrum, were incrementally loaded (with forces of 0-50 newtons). The sacrum was loaded in two directions, causing nutation (ventral rotation of the sacrum relative to the iliac bones) and counternutation (the reverse).
RESULTS: Forced nutation in the sacroiliac joints diminished the tension and forced counternutation increased the tension. Tension in the long dorsal sacroiliac ligament increased during loading of the ipsilateral sacrotuberous ligament and erector spinae muscle. The tension decreased during traction to the gluteus maximus muscle. Tension also decreased during traction to the ipsilateral and contralateral posterior layer of the thoracolumbar fascia in a direction simulating contraction of the latissimus dorsi muscle.
CONCLUSIONS: The long dorsal sacroiliac ligament has close anatomical relations with the erector spinae muscle, the posterior layer of the thoracolumbar fascia, and a specific part of the sacrotuberous ligament (tuberoiliac ligament). Functionally, it is an important link between legs, spine, and arms. The ligament is tensed when the sacroiliac joints are counternutated and slackened when nutated. The reverse holds for the sacrotuberous ligament. Slackening of the long dorsal sacroiliac ligament can be counterbalanced by both the sacrotuberous ligament and the erector muscle. Pain localized within the boundaries of the long ligament could indicate among other things a spinal condition with sustained counternutation of the sacroiliac joints. In diagnosing patients with aspecific low back pain or peripartum pelvic pain, the long dorsal sacroiliac ligament should not be neglected. Even in cases of arthrodesis of the sacroiliac joints, tension in the long ligament can still be altered by different structures.
PMID: 8852309 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
AliPasha1

Re: Severing ligaments -- does it matter?

Post by AliPasha1 »

Thanks Violet.I will just add what I found while doing a little research on the ligaments for Charlie and everybody else. :D
Hi Charlie,
There are 900 ligaments in our body and God created them for a purpose. Please read the following text regarding the ligaments as well as their functionality.

The ligaments in the Human body:-
There are nine hundred ligaments (Snáyus) in the human body, of which six hundred occur in the four extremities; two hundred and thirty in the trunk (Koshtha) and seventy in the neck and upwards. (Of the six hundred ligaments in the four extremities), six ligaments are situated in each toe making thirty (in the toes of each foot); thirty in the Tala (soles), Gulpha (ankles), and the Kurcha (ankle-joint); thirty in the leg (Janghá); ten in the knee-joints (Jánu); forty in the Udara (abdomen); ten in the groin (Vankshana); thus making one hundred and fifty in each leg. The same number is found in the other lower limb and in each of the two upper extremities. (Of the two hundred and thirty ligaments in the trunk) there are sixty in the lumbar region (Kati); eighty in the back; sixty in the sides; and thirty in the chest. (Of the seventy ligaments to be found in the region above the clavicles) there are thirty six in the neck (Grivá) and thirty-four in the head. Thus the total number of ligaments in a human body is nine hundred.

Function of the ligaments:-

The function of the ligament is where bones are held in place and joined together by tough bonds of tissue
Ligament has a structure of a strong white chord, allowing its function to support the limbs of the body. Also, another structure is a bluish, white rubbery material, letting the ligament to cushion between the ends of bones and prevent the rubbing of them.

There aren’t some sort of evolution of a body and thus have no functionality as claimed by the
Nantes team and that is an absolute false statement. You can ask any sensible Orthopedic surgeon and he will explain the functionality of the ligaments to you.

Regards,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

In my personal experience post op, yes it does matter because it SOLVED my pain problem. And no, I've had no difficulties because of it. That's a common report in people that you talk to who have been through it.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

We have heard the other way around.Maybe,you should thank God that you got lucky.Try not to argue a point which does create or has a high risk of creating other problems.Try to solve the issue.Start addressing the issue by restructing the ligaments with Cadavers or something else.Involve a a Platic surgeon or an orthopedic surgeon for that purpose.Evolve the surgery for the benefit of the patient.
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

AliPasha1 wrote:We have heard the other way around.Maybe,you should thank God that you got lucky.Try not to argue a point which does create a or has a high risk of creating other problems.
Except, I didn't get lucky. I got the normal response. The problem here is it's not what you have decided to believe. The "high risk" is not a true statement. Even among the few people who say they got pelvic instability (like Richard), it was easily manageable in the face of having a CURE for his neuropathic pain when nothing else had worked.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

The question is why did they get "Pelvic instability" in the first place?Those patients didn't ask for the Pelvic instability in addition to the neuropathic pain.So there is an issue which needs to be addressed.So the doctors should find a soluion instead of denying that the problem even exists just like Professor Robert of Nantes does and tries to hush the issue.

PNE surgery is by no means a "flawless" surgery and is indeed one of the most invasive surgeries because of the severing of the ligaments.Not to mention the poor results from the surgeries and the painful recovery of the patients from the surgery.

Although,it isn't one of the most complicated surgeries either like brain tumor.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Richard had no "pelvic instability in addition to the neuropathic pain". He had NO MORE neuropathic pain, and a backache that he could control with some number of minutes (not hours) of daily exercise.

All surgery is invasive. This is fact and truth. Otherwise there would be no recovery. I see much more extended recovery and complaints coming from the Phoenix population. None of them go back to work in 2, 4, or 6 weeks. So, this says to me that nerve pain is not being fully relieved by the partial decompression which purports to save the ST ligament.

As far as being lucky goes, I am most definitely lucky that I had the doctors which I did. For that I will always be soooo grateful.

AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

I do admire your loyalty to the Houston team but not your logic but unfortunately science doesn't work that way.I am not poster boy for Dr. Hibner,but I am indeed impresssed by his continued persistance to evolve PNE surgery for better results
and ligments is a key issue for Pelvic stability.

It is with limitations that people return to work and mostly due to financial issues and not because they are pain free or cured or feeling better.
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

AliPasha1 wrote:I do admire your loyalty to the Houston team but not your logic and unfortunately science doesn't work that way.
I do find it annoying that you can't understand that my loyalty is to the Nantes TG procedure which an American staying stateside can only receive in Houston, but whatever. I would love to see you get an education in science, though; you seem much more steeped in belief, and your logic dictates that what you want to believe can be true, is true. But if you only learned diplomacy, I think it would be lovely.

AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

The Nantes protocol is flawed and Professor Robert isn't a "god" either nor does he enjoy good reputation in his native France above all things because of his poor results.

Return to “SURGERY”