Anatomy of a Nerve - Myelin

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
Charlie

Anatomy of a Nerve - Myelin

Post by Charlie »

This is a good video describing the anatomy of a nerve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgIaAs_ONG4

The reason I posted this is because I have seen a few posts about the Myelin sheath. I think it is easy to get the impression that the myelin sheath is the outer most layer that surrounds the length of the pudendal nerve itself.

I don't think this is the case. The way I understand it is that the myelin is affected when a nerve is compressed and may have to regenerate but it cannot be damaged during surgery. For example it cannot be scraped off during surgery as It is inside the nerve itself surrounding the axons.

The connective tissue surrounding a peripheral nerve is called the epineurium. The picture on the neurawrap website shows this. Correct me if I am wrong but this is the way I understand it.

Last edited by Charlie on Mon May 16, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.
Karyn

Re: Anatomy of a Nerve - Myelin

Post by Karyn »

Charlie wrote:I think it is easy to get the impression that the myelin sheath is the outer most layer that surrounds the length of the pudendal nerve itself. I know I did.
Yup, me too, Charl. So thanks for posting this. The video was very informative and I also enjoyed the commentary below it. :lol:
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Lernica

Re: Anatomy of a Nerve - Myelin

Post by Lernica »

Karyn wrote:

". . . I also enjoyed the commentary below it. :lol: "

OMG the narrator's voice put me to sleep before I could finish watching it . . . Good video though. Thanks, Charlie.

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”