MAYO CLINIC

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
JRS

MAYO CLINIC

Post by JRS »

I am interested if anyone has been referred to the Mayo Clinic for evaluation of their problems. And, if so, was there any knowledge/help available? (I'm thinking it might just be a wasted trip and a lot of money better spent elsewhere...)
Symptoms started 7/2010 following Cellulitis infection
Hysterectomy 11/08 due to fibroids/4 child births
Rt Leg Obturator & Piriformis Pain
Sacral Pain
Current Medications: Lidocaine 5% Patch, Baclofen,Tramadol, Xanax
Topical Amitriptyline/Gabapentin Compound as I am not tolerating systemic treatment
Under Pain Management Care, Seeing a PN therapist (8 visits to date)
PN Block via CT Guide (3/11)
(2) ESI Trigger Point Injections (4/22/11)
Celeste

Re: MAYO CLINIC

Post by Celeste »

There have been people who have gotten diagnosed at Mayo. They actually did a few surgeries there several years ago but have discontinued it. I think most doctors would accept Mayo's findings, but if you wanted to pursue surgery you would definitely have to do it someplace else. I do think Mayo is more open to diagnosing it, whereas Cleveland Clinic (from what I've heard from other Ohioans) really doesn't put much stock in PNE or decompression surgery.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

My understanding is that Mayo Clinic is into treating PNE with conservative therapies such as PT -- and that's something you can probably do closer to where you live without having to travel all the way to Mayo.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
AZguy

Post by AZguy »

Living 20 miles from the MAYO clinic in Scottsdale, AZ, I thought about pursuing treatment there, but when I applied to see doctors, and mentioned pudendal neuralgia, they immediately called me back and said they didn't have anyone that could help me. Just an FYI. This was last week.
Right psoas tear in Feb 2009. Pain in perineum ensued.
Diagnosed w/ PN by Dr. Hibner and Dr. Weiss
MRI w/ Dr. Potter showed scar tissue in pelvic floor, but no definitive entrapments
Have PT every 2 weeks for "Dry needling" of pelvic floor
Exploring botox for pelvic floor dysfunction. Believe PFD is contributing to PN.
ezer

Post by ezer »

AZguy,
Thanks for the feedback. It is what I heard multiple times. Mayo is results oriented and they want to keep their successful image. The outcome of PNE surgery being unfortunately hard to predict, they won't touch it.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”