Lyrica causing bad side effects

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
A's Mommy

Lyrica causing bad side effects

Post by A's Mommy »

So after switching to Lyrica 150mg 2x a day, I now have extreme tingling in my hands and forearms and now starting in my feet. Should I wait this out and continue at the dosage (it is helping the nerve pain... but this doesn't make sense... a drug for neuropathy CAUSING neuropathy??)

Severely annoying, and my left thumb is twitching intermittently now.

A's Mommy
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
Violet M

Re: Lyrica causing bad side effects

Post by Violet M »

A's Mom, I could be wrong but I don't think you should wait it out. I know someone who went into full-blown dystonia from drug use and I would hate to see that happen to you.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
abmia22

Post by abmia22 »

I was on Lyrica at 225mg a day and I got similar side effects. They did calm down over time. Your taking a drug that systemically impacts your nervous system and works on calming down nerves that are over excited, think Fibromyalgia, which is what Lyrica was invented to treat. The symptoms should go away as you get used to the drug. I even experienced tingling in my tongue. I stopped taking it though because I felt it was not working anymore and the other side effects sucked for me.
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Hi all,

I have just experienced hell on earth last night and today. It all started on Saturday with my hands and extremities tingling and losing feeling. Then, my vision because extremely blurred. Last night was the worst when I couldn't sleep at all because it seemed as though my legs ached like I had run a marathon and I was experiencing uncontrolled twitching of my toes, legs, and thumbs. Recently (over the past 2 weeks), I doubled my dosage of Lyrica to 150mg 2x a day. My pain relief was a lot better. Then, over the weekend, it stopped working and the side effects went way up. I called my doctor this morning and now I am going back to 75 mg 2x a day. I don't expect any miracle, but I think I'm just somewhat depressed right now.

God help us all.

A's Mommy
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

Hi AM,

Sorry to hear about your very scary experience especially since the increased dose was helping your pain. I think the 300mg was just too much for a woman your size and definitely agree with cutting back to the 150mg per day. I also had a scare at 300mg after a week or two my legs swelled badly plus I had a hard time urinating. I was scared for my kidneys and cut back down and then got off of this drug as quickly as I could because it was not helping pain anyway. Curiously enough Neurontin never had any effects on me even at 1800mg, not even a bit of pain relief.
do hope you are feeling better now.

Jeanie
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”