Hamstring stretches and pain relief

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
Alan1646

Hamstring stretches and pain relief

Post by Alan1646 »

After some experimentation with stretches, I've found that doing hamstring stretches temporarily relieves my pain. I'm not sure why this is, but have read that tight hamstrings pull on the pelvis and the piriformis.
Do any forum members know anything about this? I am currently trying a muscle relaxant drug too.
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
flyer28

Re: Hamstring stretches and pain relief

Post by flyer28 »

There is certainly very close connection between hamstrings and pelvic muscles. I remember, since my pain started I felt always certain pull in the middle of my hamstrings. This feeling is annoying though not so debilitating as pelvic pain.
PT should adress that as well. There is plenty of valuable insights on the mutual connection of hamstrings and pelvis in the discussion section of the page www.hardflaccid.org
summer 2009 - episodic post ejaculatory pain,
early 2010- major flare-up, chronification
february 2011 - ESCW wave. major flare-up, lasting 5 months
february 2012 - diagnosed CPPS with irritation of pudendal nerve, hypog. plexus block
june 2012 - dorsal nerve block, no relief
2013 - starting PT with moderate results
2014-2017 better periods interchanging with heavy flare ups
2018 first long remission (several months)
2019-2023 most of the time almost assymptomatic with cca 2 flare ups yearly
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I'm not sure what the connection is, Alan, but I know that hamstring stretches cause PN flare-ups for me.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Alan1646

Post by Alan1646 »

Thanks for the reply Flyer,but the link doesn't work for me-says page missing.
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
PN-SufferVT

Post by PN-SufferVT »

Love him or hate him... there is a nice piece on hamstrings and PN Pain in Chapter 12 of Dellon's pdf book.
PN started in June 2009, quickly pain level went to 10. PN probably caused from long hours sitting in car, followed by weightlifting/sports daily. My pain level are now daily between 1 and 4. I do not know if I have true entrapment, but definitely know I have neuralgia of the PN.

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”