Underwear

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
make-it-stop

Underwear

Post by make-it-stop »

Hi all.
I have pudendal pain, pelvic floor pain, but also burning pain all over my butt and hips. I was wondering if anyone who has pain when wearing most underwear has found some underwear that is comfortable and that also doesn't ride up and give you a wedgie. I've been wearing the Victoria's Secret cotton string bikini underpants, as those are the best I've found so far, but they are a bit tight in the hip area (where the string of the string bikini is). Looking for some possible options.

EDIT ( 09-09-15): Just wanted to mention that I no longer think the Victoria's Secret cotton string bikini underpants are comfortable after trying other brands of underwear that work better. The latest that I find most comfortable are these Hanes Cotton Stretch bikini underwear: http://www.hanes.com/onehanesplace/wome ... ikini-et42
And these are my second favorite: Fruit of the Loom Microfiber Bikini 5-pack, http://www.target.com/p/fruit-of-the-lo ... A-14065739
Note: I get a size or two larger than a pain-free person would wear in both of these panties.
Last edited by make-it-stop on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
5/11: burning in all areas innervated by PN; self-diagnosed PN
5/11: pelvic floor PT (PT #1) did not help after 2 sessions; she gave up
12/11: Kalinkin MRI doesn't show anything significant
12/11: Consult with Hibner; agreed with PN diagnosis, likely due to tight pelvic muscles
12/11 - 12/13: Tried 4 other pelvic PTs - tbh, they weren't great - no results
1/14 - 11/15: pelvic PT with PT #6 (better results, feel about 30% better after 2.5 years of PT)
Related conditions: MPS, S.I dysfunction
Positivepoppy

Re: Underwear

Post by Positivepoppy »

Hi
I share your pain, had bilateral pudendal nerve surgery 7 weeks ago and underwear can be excruciating . I now wear loose trousers and French knickers that are the most comfortable. Can't quite believe underwear can cause pain but omg it does!!!
X
Susan Chance

Post by Susan Chance »

It's best to wear boy shorts, Gap has them, Macys too. They should be larger than you usually wear.
Sue
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

Thanks for advice will give them a try
make-it-stop

Post by make-it-stop »

Yes, in Target's workout wear section they have these Champion Seamless Performance Boyshorts that I've been wearing lately when I do cardio workouts (walk). They're okay. I like that they don't put much pressure where normal pantylines do, but they tend to give me a wedgie in my midline and I have to keep pulling them out/down. So I just wear them for working out when normally the pantylines of bikins would chafe too much.
12/11: Consult with Hibner; agreed with PN diagnosis, likely due to tight pelvic muscles
1/14 - 11/15: pelvic PT with PT #6 (better results, feel about 30% better after 2.5 years of PT)
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

I now only wear knee length or longer skirts - and when necessary with midi style cotton knickers from Marks & Spencer - in winter with Pretty Polly Pretty Cool 15 denier crotchless tights.This is UK - but i buy online.
Rosemary x
greeneyes

Post by greeneyes »

Underwear has been a major challenge for me for the last 19 years. I have chronic low back pain, and an area on my back just below my waist is very sensitive. Elastic waistbands drive me nuts. I also have vulvadynia and elastic around the legs is very uncomfortable. I have some very old Jockey underwear that is the only underwear I can stand. It is wearing out. I have bought new versions of the old stuff but the elastic is tighter than I'd like, even though it's several sizes larger than I would ordinarily wear. I have bought several different styles and brands of underwear over the years but nothing has worked as well as the old stuff. I don't know what's I'll do when it's too tattered to wear anymore.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

When my pain is bad any clothing can be an issue.

I have found that daluth trading "buck naked" underwear works better than normal boxers.

They handle moisture better and breathe a lot more.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
make-it-stop

Post by make-it-stop »

Gosh those are expensive. Makes Victoria's Secret look like the dollar store, but I know how important comfortable clothes are for us.

Besides underwear, I also have to wear very comfortable pants--so usually very comfy leggings or sweatpants. I would cry if I had to wear jeans. I've found WHBM (White House Black Market) has verrrrry comfortable women's leggings. And Target always seems to have comfy sweatpants on clearance.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

I have a pair of the daluth trading jeans but they are $50 a pair, but they work!

The major help for my PN was the crouch gusset. So I had my other jeans altered by a seamstress.

Its a fairly quick thing to do for any seamstress to do to any pair of jeans. Just bring a pair of old jeans the same color to use for the gusset, and it helps a TON with bending and sitting.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”