New here, 18 and extremely worried

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
travelisdangerous

New here, 18 and extremely worried

Post by travelisdangerous »

I'm 18 years old and live in the UK. Two weeks ago today I lost my virginity. I was very drunk at the time and I was very vigorous as I think I was not fully erect. I think this may have caused damage to the penis.

My first cause for concern was when I realised there was a small bruise on my penis which has since faded. Two days after I started to get a mild ache on the left of my abdomen. This ache then went away and was replaced by a constant need to urinate. Very little urine usually comes out. I was getting electric shock sensations in my body which would wake me up but these seem to have become less frequent. I am getting a very small amount of urine leakage. The ache on the left of my abdomen seems to have come back and is getting stronger.

Just today I got a train back from University to go home to my parents and since then I have felt this sharp pain on my left leg and left testicle. This is what has really worried me as it seems that it could have been caused by sitting down for a long duration and it is the first sign of actual pain rather than just mild discomfort.

I feel like my whole life is over as if it gets to the point where I can't sit down I will not be able to carry on at university and my whole future aims and aspirations are ruined (I study a computing course).

I'm also feeling a lack of sensation in the penis and have not got an erection for many days and I have an altered sense of ejaculation. I also seem to not be empting my bowels anywhere near as much as usual.

Please help I feel my whole life is ruined due to one stupid mistake and was wondering as I am still young is there a chance this could heal? What treatment should I attempt to receive? Please reply I am extremely scared and worried.
stephanies

Re: New here, 18 and extremely worried

Post by stephanies »

Hello,

I think a good place to begin would be seeing a urologist for an exam. Hopefully that doctor can evaluate your symptoms and point you in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
travelisdangerous

Thanks for the reply, I'm seeing a GP next week and seeing if they will refer me to a urologist, I am almost convinced I have PN judging by the symptoms and that I had penis bruising. I am worried that doctors and urologists will have no idea what's wrong with me as they aren't educated on PN. Do you think I should maybe print out a list of symptoms from the website and show them?
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Hi, Trvelisdangerous. I live in the UK. Have you told your parents? If you feel you can that's a good place to start, a problem shared and all that.

If your parents can afford for you to go privately, there is Dr Baronowski in London £400.00 for an hour very thorough, he is very PN aware and works along side a urologist they are part of NHNN, you would get an appointment next week, and he would then send you to see Mrs Elneil, who is a top nerve uro surgeon.

Also in London is Maria Elliott (look her up) she is very PN aware also, she is a physio, and she said guys get better easier than women, she sees guys as well, there is more about of this than you realise. You can't be shy as the physio requires internal work. That is a £120.00 an hour, you are given exercises to do at home/uni.

Dr Baronowski would tell you about the "nerve" pills that you can try, there are quite a few and it is a case of trial and error. They do not work over night, and take a while to build up in the system.

You do not need a letter from your GP to see Dr Baronowski, I self referred. You obviously need to check that you don't have a really bad p infection, and did you have safe sex regards catching an STD. You are young, so have every good chance of getting better, with the right form of attack.

There is also a physio called Dr Ruth Lovegrove Jones, who is very PN aware also she is in Southampton. Good luck, and try not to panic, as the more you panic the more the #%^*+~$€ nerve misbehaves.
Susanjane

Post by Susanjane »

Hello travelisganerous
So sorry to read your post and clearly you are very distressed. At this stage, please, please try not to panic and then wait and see what transpires from your GP appointment before pursuing anything else. It is possible that any tissue damage involved may well not be serious but everything else surrounding it is amplifying matters, i.e. you were drunk and it was your first experience of penetrative sex. In case you are worrying about having to explain to health professionals how it happened, don’t worry as they’ve heard it all before! At this stage, try to keep calm, tell your parents or a trusted friend if you think it will help, and don’t let all the googling send you into “catastrophic thinking” because it will only hinder your progress. Good luck!
travelisdangerous

Thank you all so much for your incredibly helpful replies! I've told my parents and have an appointment with a GP next week so hopefully that should get things rolling. Thanks a lot for the names of people that are pn aware as that will be my plan of action if the GP/urologists have no idea (which I assume is very likely). And I've been tested, I have no infection and my symptoms don't seem to match any stds so Ive pretty much decided that stds are out of the question. When I tried to tell the doctors at the clinic my symtoms and that it could be nerve damage they pretty much instantly said that it can't be nerve damage, one even said that the pudendal nerve has nothing to do with urinating (oh dear) so it'd be great to talk to someone educated on the matter.

Thanks again everyone! :)
ezer

Post by ezer »

travelisdangerous, relax. My goodness. Susanjane is absolutely right. You are not the first guy that had sex while not fully erect. You will experience more of it when you get older, trust me. I am really not sure that you should meet with a PN aware physician at this stage. Find an experienced urologist that can reassure you. You know some urologist with 30+ years of experience that has seen it all. You first need to get out of that catastrophizing mode.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

travelisdangerous wrote: When I tried to tell the doctors at the clinic my symtoms and that it could be nerve damage they pretty much instantly said that it can't be nerve damage, one even said that the pudendal nerve has nothing to do with urinating (oh dear) so it'd be great to talk to someone educated on the matter.
According to the literature I've read the pudendal nerve innervates the bladder sphincter so I'm not sure why one of the docs told you the PN has nothing to do with urinating. But don't take my word for it. Google some reputable .edu websites or pubmed peer review literature to confirm this. I've researched it quite a bit and I can't remember the best references at the moment but here are a couple.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13680183

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12007522

Keep in mind there are anatomical variations from person to person.

I agree with Ezer that worrying is not going to help at this point. Having a proactive plan will help to put your mind at rest and just doing some simple non-invasive things like pelvic floor PT and some medications to calm the nerve down (if it is the nerve) might be all it takes.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
KRISG

Post by KRISG »

Hi travelisdangerous,
pne diagnosis is ruling out everything else . So I would start with the most obvious .
Go to a gp, to a good urologe .
Realise Pn is rare . Pne even more rare .
So try to rule out the other things first and hey ....relax friend !
Not having a full erection when you are drunk ?
I would call it even normal :lol: but I'm an older man ... Sorry ladies !
Bicyclist / IT guy / sitting allot
Then pain -- but only when sitting--
took me 3 years - nerve blocks etc to find out that it really was the surface of a chair that could help.. Now . After 5 years doing well -- on a special chair - special recumbent bike- special car - but ..almost without pain !!
travelisdangerous

Thanks for the replies! I have a few other questions...

Firstly from what I have read, urine leakage doesn't seem to be a very common PN symptom. I also read somewhere that incontinence shows that the nerve is damaged, rather than entrapped/irritated. This is worrying me immensely as my urine leakage seems to be getting progressively worse which is scary.

Another new symptom I have is this insect crawling on my body sensation. I find this strange that it is on my torso as I assume this wouldn't have anything to do with the pudendal nerve? or do nerves have a mind of their own when they start to misbehave?

Did anyone else have these symptoms? It's extremely hard to stay calm right now.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”